Which bench top thicknesser?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dewalt is a superb machine in quality and finishing ability, and will take heavy use! someone gave me a brand new Nutool planer and it went up in flames the first time I used it! The Dewalt is a great machine, but pricey.

Dewalt is a superb machine in quality and finishing ability, and will take heavy use! someone gave me a brand new Nutool planer and it went up in flames the first time I used it! The Dewalt is a great machine, but pricey.

I think the DeWalt DW735 (or DW735X with infeed and outfeed tables and extra knives) is the best selling tabletop thicknesser in North America. It's too bad DeWalt has forgotten about the rest of the world for this model. :(

Might be worth a search on the Shinko planer thicknesser. A price comparison with import tax may be comparable to importing a cutter block, from the Americas region.

Been using a Metabo DH330 for years. For my sins I'll admit I've never changed the knives, but it keeps ploughing away at anything from pine, to oak, to walnut, including end grain chopping boards. Still produces a respectable surface finish on most material.

I'm in two minds about the spiral cutter blocks; especially given the price is around the whole cost of the original thicknesser. I know they have a number of advantages, but unless you're throwing huge amounts of material through the machine I'd just use the machine as is, and a final skim with a hand plane will give a pretty much perfect finish.

Laguna do one that I'd love to take a look at - but I can't find any in the uk.

Attachments

• 22-12-21 08-33-08.jpg
    22-12-21 08-33-08.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 43
I think the DeWalt DW735 (or DW735X with infeed and outfeed tables and extra knives) is the best selling tabletop thicknesser in North America. It's too bad DeWalt has forgotten about the rest of the world for this model. :(
Was not sure if that means its not available in Europe. I had a look at sales for them in the UK but the only one I saw was 120v. A 240v version is available here in Australia and I have to say Its a great machine for the money. Mine just has the standard strait blades but does a good job. I cant see the need to double the cost for a spiral head.
Regards
John

Last edited:
Was not sure if that means its not available in Europe. I had a look at sales for them in the UK but the only one I saw was 120v. A 240v version is available here in Australia and I have to say Its a great machine for the money. Mine just has the standard strait blades but does a good job. I cant see the need to double the cost for a spiral head.
Regards
John

John, I was only referring to Europe. I knew these were sold in Australia and Russia, but not in the rest of the 230V/50Hz areas. :mad:

I agree with you about the spiral cutter block and I would be happy with the three knives.

Hi Peri, we are working on it - hopefully 2022 (likely Autumn) & spiral block instead of USA quad block as that didn't get CE.
Cheers,
Nick

Please tell me you can lock the cutterblock to stop it rocking - it'd be top of my 'must buy' list then :)

Hi Peri, we are working on it - hopefully 2022 (likely Autumn) & spiral block instead of USA quad block as that didn't get CE.
Cheers,
Nick
Any idea why the quad block didn't get CE? I suppose the flat nature of the carbide insert mounting might make it worse than a spiral block; but that's not really any different to a full width knife. Plus I assume the quad block is easier (and cheaper) to machine than a spiral head.

Any idea why the quad block didn't get CE? I suppose the flat nature of the carbide insert mounting might make it worse than a spiral block; but that's not really any different to a full width knife. Plus I assume the quad block is easier (and cheaper) to machine than a spiral head.
Hi Sploo, factory reply earlier this year below.
Cheers,
Nick

Hi All,
Unfortunately a bad news. Please below.

Dear xxx,
One of PX12’s features is Quadtec1 cutter head which is square, we consulted with TUV, unfortunately CE only accepts round cutter head( like traditional straight blade head or helical head).
We are sorry to inform you PX12 CE version is not possible because of Quadtec1 head.

Hi Sploo, factory reply earlier this year below.
Cheers,
Nick

Hi All,
Unfortunately a bad news. Please below.

Dear xxx,
One of PX12’s features is Quadtec1 cutter head which is square, we consulted with TUV, unfortunately CE only accepts round cutter head( like traditional straight blade head or helical head).
We are sorry to inform you PX12 CE version is not possible because of Quadtec1 head.
I suppose it makes sense; I mean - if I put my fingers on a spinning straight blade or helical head I'd be fine, but think of the damage a square one could do 😁

Being serious; I assume there's some logic behind the "round cutter head" rule but I can't immediately think of any!

Sploo - we can't think of any either & were surprised with that - but it is what it is.
CE regs for Annex iv machines are what they are I guess.
Based on the image of the cutter block at PX|12 you could just turn the edges off the block and make it a bit more round ;)

I am not familiar with the standards, but it could be related to cutter projection. Perhaps the square cutter head exceeds the cutter projection. There are often ways round these kind of issues, but it usually means some modification to the machine, such as some kind of insert added to the head to meet requirements. I'm sure the issue was a lot more complicated and there were no easy solutions. CE marking gives a huge market.

Attachments

• limited projection cutters.pdf
    835.7 KB · Views: 6
I think there may be an issue with the US Laguna (perhaps not relevant here) but worth waiting until all bugs have been resolved on this new machine. Market does need more spiral cutter machines here though, so will be interesting to see what version from Laguna arrives (and at what price).

Back