Which basic router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bricor61

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum. I make patio furniture as a hobby and want to put chamfers on my tables and benches. I could use a chamfer plane or a router. I would prefer the router as it has more uses but which one. I do not need an expensive machine even tho' most will recommend these. Ineed abasic machine to chamfer. Is there anything under £80 worth looking at and will 1/4" collet do my job ok. I predominately use 3/4" to 11/4" timber. I want this on my fathers Day List! lol!!

Trends T4 is a nice small router and ideal for small mouldings and is a great buy in my opinion. Have one as my 3rd choice router so would recommend in an instant.

Agreed. I have a couple of Trend T4s - extremely basic and lightweight in every sense, but I find them fine for simple rounding-over and grooving work. You can pick up C-grade samples direct from Trend (full warranty) for 60-odd quid inc.VAT here.

I wouldn't think of it as an investment for life, though ;)

I guess the question is what else you were hoping to do with it? A quick Google throws up a 1/4" green Bosch router for a bit more money but with a bit more grunt (though it looks physically bigger) and a 1/4" Ryobi that's a bit closer to £100 that's probably a step up again - though I've no direct experience of these, personally.

HTH - and welcome, btw.

Pete

Checking out the Trend T4 as recommended by the forum replies and the BoschPOF 1200AE. Is the Trend the best way to go here.
Cheers guys
Brian

bricor61":2m809wlk said:
Checking out the Trend T4 as recommended by the forum replies and the BoschPOF 1200AE. Is the Trend the best way to go here.

I have a Bosch POF 1200AE, and while it's a very capable router in terms of spinning a cutting head around really fast, I find it a bit unwieldy to use;the plunge in particular is a bit awkward (you have to kind of push a heavy lever sideways and down with your thumb, out away from your hand, while holding the side handle firmly enough to actually push the router down on the springs).

I bought a second-hand POF 500A, which has a very similar shape and size to the Trend T4, and I prefer it for light work - it's much more agile, which outweighs the smaller engine for me.

Trend t4 c grade £72
Trend t4 new £80
Bosch1200AE £60 all including delivery so it looks like the green might be winning!!

bricor61":qzk124vu said:
Trend t4 c grade £72
Trend t4 new £80
Bosch1200AE £60 all including delivery so it looks like the green might be winning!!

You might want to look at the base plate bush system before you buy :) Bosch SDS are very quick and convenient, but not the cheapest (You'd quickly lose £12 saving I suspect)

chippymart":3083tvvp said:
Trends T4 is a nice small router and ideal for small mouldings and is a great buy in my opinion.

I would agree with this. The Trend T4 lets you use all the Trend guide bushes and accessories and if you need a fine adjustment fence then you can buy a T5 fence (which fits the T4).

Jim

Latest posts

Back