Which band saw, which dust extractor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trainee neophyte":2jy6w0ww said:
sunnybob":2jy6w0ww said:
Damn! I think thats the longest I've ever typed. must be nearly an hour to do that. I'm off for a tea break, which just might include alcohol, but will definitely not include tea. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

A heartbreaking work of staggering genius. Thank you for your time, as well as advice. Just wait until I finally buy one of these saws - I'll be annoying you constantly for tips and tricks. You may want to change your account name now, in anticipation.

(I stole the quote from this: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/495 ... ing_Genius it was a booker prize nomination, I believe - your essay disserves similar recognition)

I just wish there had been somebody to guide me when I started. But i literally went from a know nothing never worked with wood (apart from hammer and nails) and hit the ground running before I found this and a few other forums.
Happy to pass on my experiences in the hope you get as much fun out of it as I am now.
My tea break got delayed (only just on the vodka now, 3 hours later) had to go and solve an international diplomatic crisis.

My neighbour (german) went across the border (Northern Cyprus, turkish side) to stock up on petrol for his boat because its almost half price that side. Tried to cross the border with 2 x 40 litre cans of petrol in the boot. Oh no oh no oh no :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Bad enough he's trying to avoid paying duty crossing a border, but he's driving a DEISEL car with 80 litres of PETROL sloshing about ! Oh no oh no oh no. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

He managed to just get turned away rather than arrested, and left the containers at the station he bought it from.

enter SuperBob =D> =D> =D> =D>

I had to take him back across in my PETROL car, fill up my car with one can, divide the other into a 2 smaller cans, and blag our way back across the border, to the same guard (Sorry officer, he's "german" :roll: he doesnt understand the rules :roll: . I promise it wont happen again yah de yah de yah (god my face hurts from sycophantic smiling) He then started into explaining how he had tried to get away with all these taxes, and I had to drag him away saying "ENOUGH TALKING!!!")
good news is I got to keep what went into my tank
So messy transferring petrol I have had to come home and throw all my clothes in the washing machine and shower twice.
Oh I'm enjoying my stoli. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

sunnybob":29nnwkoa said:
[
I just wish there had been somebody to guide me when I started. But i literally went from a know nothing never worked with wood (apart from hammer and nails) and hit the ground running before I found this and a few other forums.
Happy to pass on my experiences in the hope you get as much fun out of it as I am now.
My tea break got delayed (only just on the vodka now, 3 hours later) had to go and solve an international diplomatic crisis.

My neighbour (german) went across the border (Northern Cyprus, turkish side) to stock up on petrol for his boat because its almost half price that side. Tried to cross the border with 2 x 40 litre cans of petrol in the boot. Oh no oh no oh no :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Bad enough he's trying to avoid paying duty crossing a border, but he's driving a DEISEL car with 80 litres of PETROL sloshing about ! Oh no oh no oh no. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

He managed to just get turned away rather than arrested, and left the containers at the station he bought it from.

enter SuperBob =D> =D> =D> =D>

I had to take him back across in my PETROL car, fill up my car with one can, divide the other into a 2 smaller cans, and blag our way back across the border, to the same guard (Sorry officer, he's "german" :roll: he doesnt understand the rules :roll: . I promise it wont happen again yah de yah de yah (god my face hurts from sycophantic smiling) He then started into explaining how he had tried to get away with all these taxes, and I had to drag him away saying "ENOUGH TALKING!!!")
good news is I got to keep what went into my tank
So messy transferring petrol I have had to come home and throw all my clothes in the washing machine and shower twice.
Oh I'm enjoying my stoli. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

That'll make brexiteers think twice! All you needed was the Madonna With the Big Boobies to make it a complete farce. What is it with the Germans, that they think foreign laws don't apply to them?

MikeJhn":2xjolur6 said:
That is beautifully figured, too good to hide inside a bandsaw box and too figured to be on the outside IMO it would detract from the box profile if it was profiled that it, but thinking about it further using it as a lid or side of a jewellery box would look amazing, or the top of a wine table, or coffee table, OH the decisions are endless, I only have access to well seasoned Oak and am very jealous. :mrgreen:

That is just a random lump from the wood pile. It's madness to think there is so much more of the same, just sitting outside waiting to be burned. In fact, I'm setting fire to some right now!

My neighbour has so much wood that he can't sell, he is going to drag it all out into the open next spring and burn the lot. As firewood, the price is €100 per ton (or pickup truck),but no one is buying it. It has no other value.

That piece was actually a proof-of-concept for me: could I cut, plane and glue three boards into a panel (or bread board?). Turns out that I can. Astonishing! I used the table saw to break down the log into boards, during my "Look! No fingers!" phase. I have since decided that the table saw really isn't the tool for the job, hence this thread. But having this resource available, how can I not use it?

What is it with the Germans, that they think foreign laws don't apply to them?
you aint kidding there. this one rented the house next door, and promptly built an internal wall across the living room to make two large storage spaces, each with a full sized door. :shock:
When told he had signed a lease that only allowed him to put a shed in the garden, he said that "In germany, I can do this without asking the landlord"

theres truly no more arrogant a race.

sunnybob":3fejkg3h said:
What is it with the Germans, that they think foreign laws don't apply to them?
you aint kidding there. this one rented the house next door, and promptly built an internal wall across the living room to make two large storage spaces, each with a full sized door. :shock:
When told he had signed a lease that only allowed him to put a shed in the garden, he said that "In germany, I can do this without asking the landlord"

theres truly no more arrogant a race.

Some German rented a house near me, failed to pay any rent, stripped the place clean of anything of value, down to the electrical cables in the walls, and then did a runner. They are not all like that, granted. To be fair, there are brits who would / have done worse. Takes all sorts to make the world go round.

You're not wrong on olive. I broke a brand new axe splitting some at the MILs place in Spain. We did get refunded after a lot of arguing at least.

Rich C":2okg389d said:
You're not wrong on olive. I broke a brand new axe splitting some at the MILs place in Spain. We did get refunded after a lot of arguing at least.

I wouldn't even attempt to split olive with an axe (little sticks I cut up for kindling being the exception). It's all knots and grain going in circles. Beautiful, but unhelpful. I tried with wedges once, and gave up eventually and cut the wedge out with a chainsaw. It's not like normal wood. The exception is if you can find a wild olive, which has never been pruned. Even then, work on it while its fresh.

Here's what I am doing at the moment, if it ever stops raining - this is why the trees are full of knots:
IMG-20191114-WA0005.jpg

That's a particularly brutal example, as the tree needed a bit of disciplining, but every two or three years, half the canopy gets lopped off. It makes for knotty wood.

Attachments

• IMG-20191114-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20191114-WA0005.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 156
It was seasoned olive delivered by a man (the MIL gets it in builders bags) so I didn't have much choice. I managed to split a fair amount by carefully selecting the less gnarled pieces. It was already pre-split to some extent as it was delivered as firewood.

Latest posts

Back