Which Adhesive?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
I doing a bit of work on the kitchen. A few months back a burnt an area of the worktop, so my plan is to router out and inlay this marble cutting board. What adhesive would you use or would you use something else?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Kitchen Marble Insert.jpg

Attachments

• Kitchen Marble Insert.jpg
    Kitchen Marble Insert.jpg
    880 KB · Views: 161
I wouldn't glue it in, but would build a flange support around the bottom of the hole you're going to cut for the slab. This will allow you to remove the slab for cleaning as required, as long as you have access to the bottom of it so you can push it out and ease it in.

Knives won't appreciate being used on a marble cutting block.

I think I would also make whatever insert you put in there removable. Make sure that you seal the exposed worktop edges too. I would probably make a butcher's block insert, but I appreciate that you already have the marble.

Removable is far better because of all the food waste and bacteria that will collect in the seam. Unless you eopxy it in forever and then fill the gaps and polish it all back to perfect.
What is the main surface? marble, granite,corian?

A bead of silicone around it would be very effective at sticking it in place.
I'm with others though, I would take a bigger section out and do a nice beech block instead. It would need sealing around whether its marble or wood as water will find its way into the bare material of the worktop which would be a problem if it's chipboard.

That is a piece of Granite, not Marble....

That is also a laminate worktop, so I would suggest you bond the Granite section in place permanently with something like BB Complete sealant/adhesive. If water or moisture gets between the Granite and the chipboard core of the worktop, you will end up trashing the worktop....

More advice than I'd anticipated, so thank you very much to everyone :D ...

As Distinterior has said it's a laminate worktop, so I could do with a permanent seal around the Granite. I'm not bothered about removing it
to clean, if it's sealed everything should be OK. It's three metre long the worktop and far too expensive for me to replace, even though it's
probably the cheapest type you can buy. I thought the Granite would be a nice finish and would also look better when we come to sell.
It won't be used as a cutting board, I use that area more for rolling Chapitis :D

We had exactly that challenge on my bro's MIL's worktop. We got it set up squarely, then silicone underneath then all round joint. Has not moved in years and she is a hard core cleaner, so it must be ok

you could also use it as a mini reference surface to triple check that somethings flat in between cooking and woodworking :D what about using simple rubber pads beneath it?

thetyreman":311ut6q1 said:
you could also use it as a mini reference surface to triple check that somethings flat in between cooking and woodworking :D what about using simple rubber pads beneath it?

It's on rubber feet, they're not very thick but I was going to remove them so I don't have to remove too much of the worktop...

gregmcateer":116rg2vx said:
We had exactly that challenge on my bro's MIL's worktop. We got it set up squarely, then silicone underneath then all round joint. Has not moved in years and she is a hard core cleaner, so it must be ok

I thought of Silicone, but not sure it's the right stuff to use in an area used for baking, kneading dough etc.

I am toying with the idea of concrete worktops - very, very cheap. I have never seen one in the wild, so I'm not sure if it's something that really works - I will probably make a few small table tops as proof of concept, and to learn the knack.

(Just in case you were looking to replace the entire top, but wanted a low budget method).

Trainee neophyte":2vjn9bbv said:
I am toying with the idea of concrete worktops - very, very cheap. I have never seen one in the wild, so I'm not sure if it's something that really works - I will probably make a few small table tops as proof of concept, and to learn the knack.

(Just in case you were looking to replace the entire top, but wanted a low budget method).

I have liked the concrete tops when I've seen them on these TV house renovation type programmes, I think one of the best was
a very large centre unit that I'm sure had the sink and hob built in. Not sure it's something I'd tackle myself though.
I had planned to replace the tops this year funds allowing, but seeing what I could make using reclaimed timbers. Things changed
as they do and a couple of months back we've decided to move, not sure when to be honest, but I've held back on the kitchen plans.

Back