Which 1/2 router? My first!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W666

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to upgrade from my 1/4 Makita palm router as I've some kitchen worktops to do.

I'm at a loss which to go for, the prices seem to vary more than any other tool I've bought. Hikoki one 160, Bosch start at 400, makita 300, and there doesn't look to be much difference in the way of function between these.

Looking at the Axminster site I'd be looking at the Makita, Dewalt or Hikoki one. Can anyone comment on these or recommend something else that's decent?

https://www.axminster.co.uk/power-tools ... -2-routers

Would want a variable speed one and I have the Bosch guide rail system, so hopefully most routers are compatable with it.

The mv12e gets a lot of love and I have one which has not let me down. My only gripe is that it doesn't take standard trend bushes without an adaptor plate.

Theres a 100 types, and youre going to get at east 90 different recommendations :shock: :lol:

I have three makitas and a very, very old bosch.
Pick a brand name you know, buy it from a reputable dealer (online or in the shop) and youre covered for three years. 8)

This may sound counter intuitive, but for cutting kitchen worktops the heavier the router the better, it takes a lot to make it go off line, have a look at the Hitachi range, I have two MV12-2's and they are perfect for cutting worktops, if you are thinking of a masons mitre for joining and changing angles then you need a proper jig not a rail system.

https://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technol ... jig-508615

Hikoki = Hitachi.
I have the M12VE with a Hitachi badge. It's a no frills beast (well, it does have soft start) and there is little else at that price point.
Only irritation is that it needs an after market means of doing height adjustment in a table and doesn't come with a dust extraction attachment.
I'll buy another if/when it dies.

It may depend on what you inteded use is - table, free hand etc. I have a Bosch and cant fault it. But as said you will get many recomendations. Some good deals can be had second hand as sometimes they are too big for people to use or control.

Hmm the M12VE looks great price wise, there's a lot of negative comments about the chuck/collet though. I see there's a m12v2 that states improvements on that issue. What does anyone think about that version? Still roughly 30% cheaper than the Makita or DeWalt ones.

I've got a Makita 2301FCXK which is a wonderful router to use, the linear ball bearings on the slide rods make plunge cuts an absolute dream compared to the traditional style, I can plunge the router down with one finger. Soft-start is a very nice touch too but they didn't make it soft-stop! there's quite a kick when the brake kicks in which canmove the router about if you're not prepared for it. The work light is a great thing too, I don't know how I could live without one now as it makes following a line that much easier.

Buuuut... The 1/2 router is perhaps the least used tool in the workshop, for me at least. I've got a few 1/4" routers which are all set up for a particular job like hinging and rounding over and I've got the spindle moulder for straightforward mouldings and rebates. The 1/2 router only really comes into its own on staircase trenching and some other odd jobs.

W666":1d01e2o1 said:
Hmm the M12VE looks great price wise, there's a lot of negative comments about the chuck/collet though. I see there's a m12v2 that states improvements on that issue. What does anyone think about that version? Still roughly 30% cheaper than the Makita or DeWalt ones.

The collet on the M12VE is absolutely fine once you know how to use it. You do have to read the manual to find out this out thought, as it's not intuitive.

If you ever intend putting it in to a router table, check out the Triton TRA001 as it has height adjustment from above the table, a superb feature worth buying it for that feature alone.

If it’s always going to be hand held, the Makita is a steady workhorse.

The Triton has very mixed reviews on here, including my own.

The Hitachi comes with the 30mm bush you need for a worktop jig, I have the M12VE in a router table and two M12v2's they are extremely good value for money, I also have two Draper Experts, a Makita, Katsu and a Bosch so am comparing over quite a large range, the Triton is the only one I sold on.

Screenshot_20200106_155039.jpg
OK I've found a m12v2 used and a Howden worktop jig for £120, router looks well used from the photo, guy has retired apparently.

Look a bit rough?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200106_155039.jpg
    Screenshot_20200106_155039.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 1,184
Why would anyone put a router up for sale without giving it a bit of a brush off, I would think this has been used quite hard, but they are very tough so it may be worth taking a punt a long as the jig is in good condition, the jig cost's nearly that much.

I highly recommend the Trend T11... not the cheapest but its been a workhorse since i bought it 5+ yrs ago. Never had any issues, plenty of oomph, great in a router table as well as in hand. From what i understand its pretty much the same machine internals as the Dewalt counterpart?

If you have deep pockets get a Mafell LO65ec. No nonsense, no thrills, pure power router that will last your entire career.

Other than that the Festool OF 2200. Being a festool it has it's quirks, namely a strange shaped base but it is by far the best router I've ever used.
It's dust collection system is fantastic and the twist grip plunge lock is super easy to operate.

Any expensive tool but should last forever if looked after.

Just as quick heads up on worktop masons mitres, for every two you do throw away the bit and buy a new one.

DW625 is still a solid choice and there are genuine used examples available (as in not nicked out of some poor sod’s van) for sensible money, i.e. less then £150.

Cash Converters can be useful if you can find a decent condition one as they’ve a fairly robust 6 month refund policy. Check for pitting of the plunge pillars and ask if there’s any rattle at run-down (shagged bearings). Be prepared to shop around though as they’re one of the most popular 1/2” machines on site and get worked hard, so some are being flogged on because they’re knackered. A replacement armature assembly is close to the price of a complete used machine so test anything you get thoroughly and send it back asap if any issues.

Back