Which 1/2 router? My first!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I'll go for either the DeWalt or Makita as soon as ebay do a discount code and I can get it for £250 or less new. Think the Makita does look the best but I'm heavily invested in the DeWalt TSTAK, so...

I can't get over the large number of very negative reviews of the HiKOKI, even though some do sing its praises. I like to buy tools the once now, career tools hopefully.

Unless something decent comes up second hand anyway.

Can you link me to the large amount of negative Hikoki/Hitachi reviews, I have never seen any?

Bit of an effort to link using my phone but Amazon UK and US, most YouTube video reviews have someone in the comments saying its awful and came across around 10 different forum threads on other forums stating issues. Always the same 3 problems; electronic speed control failiure, collet issues removing bits and the speed dialling itself down in use.
It's frustrating because there's a lot of people saying it's great too! And the price is great.
On the other hand I can not find a single bad review of the Makita, and just one for the DeWalt.
Gut is just telling me not to bother as from experience you get what you pay for, usually. I mean the HiKOKI is half the price of the DeWalt and Makita, why is that, do they sell a lot or is it half the tool of the others, I dont know.

My main use of one of the MV12's is in a router table with a Muscle Chuck fitted so the collet issue does not occur, if it exists, I have never had a speed control or speed issue of any kind, seems to be very stable, or certainly mine is.

Come to the teal blue side, get the Makita... You know you want to... :twisted:

giphy.gif

Come to the green side, the grass is greener.

DSC01033.jpeg

Resistance is futile. :wink:

Attachments

• DSC01033.jpeg
    DSC01033.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 350
Mike, is it possible we are looking at yours = 'older, better' vs newer = 'rebadged, poorer' constructs of the same platform? Certainly, I can recall this argument of Elu vs Dewalt and (most certainly) Trend half-inch routers.

Sam

SammyQ":2i6lpl6q said:
Mike, is it possible we are looking at yours = 'older, better' vs newer = 'rebadged, poorer' constructs of the same platform? Certainly, I can recall this argument of Elu vs Dewalt and (most certainly) Trend half-inch routers.

Sam

Probably true.

Heading out to buy the Makita RP2301FCXK tomorrow, thanks for all the suggestions.

Seems to of jumped up in price a little though :(

MikeJhn":2rdjoofz said:
Just as quick heads up on worktop masons mitres, for every two you do throw away the bit and buy a new one.

So do you think best to buy the cheaper ones if doing that? Erbauer ones are £10 each or Trend crappro, about £15 or Trend pro at £25!

I have found that on worktops the Erbauer ones are as good as anything, no better or worse than the Trend offerings. No cutter lasts very long on worktops.

Latest posts

Back