Where's Rob ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen Rob Lee chiming in on any posts recently. I wonder if he's busy working on the new catalog? Maybe he's busy playing with all their new planes? :-k

He is away from the factory at the moment and does not have access to computers

I've been trying my best to come up with pictures of the LA jointer or some new shots of the honing guide but I keep coming up empty handed. :cry:

ydb1md":di7xjuq2 said:
I've been trying my best to come up with pictures of the LA jointer or some new shots of the honing guide but I keep coming up empty handed. :cry:

I bet the LV server admin loves you, filling up the error logs like that [-X - Let us know if you find them though :wink: :lol:

I've tried using various search engines to do a domain search on Lee Valley for images but nothing comes up in Rob's hidden folders. ](*,)

I (strongly) suspect that Rob only puts things that aren't secret in those publicly accessible (if obscure) locations.

BugBear

Yeah, I know. It's just fun to play "private investigator" every now and then. :)

ydb1md":19mfeted said:
I haven't seen Rob Lee chiming in on any posts recently. I wonder if he's busy working on the new catalog? Maybe he's busy playing with all their new planes? :-k

Hi -

Back now - had to drive 560 km west to help my daughter pack up her apt - she's done fourth year, so we're not empty nesters anymore...you don't want to know what an apartment with 5 girls in it for four years looks like... :shock:

As for the photos - they're not always as obvious as "lajoin" or "hsmooth1"... nor are they always the most recent versions...have to leave a few surprises though...

And you haven't even touched subdirectories yet 8) ...

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":14oucsbg said:
(snip)

And you haven't even touched subdirectories yet 8) ...

Cheers -

Rob

... oh - and it's a good thing I don't post pictures like this 8) :

http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/mkll-1.jpg (500K)

'cause I wouldn't try to find the next one if you're on dial-up.... :shock:

Cheers -

Rob
(playing spot the tease again)

Oh man!

I DO believe in Santa Claus! \:D/

That picture is big enough to be used in a publication?!

Does the plastic setup block come with it or is that just for illustrative purposes?

edit: just noticed that it's a waterstone #-o

Sometimes I don't think I'm even on dial-up. More like semaphore. So far I can see, ooo, exciting...

... a yellow plastic chisel handle. :roll:

Not playing anyway. :p

Cheers, Alf

Rob Lee":11xarnyx said:

Well I couldn't resist could I? I looked for http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/mkll-2.jpg. Suddenly this obscure comment becomes clear. That's the version that's 500K. The one I was waiting an age to download was the 1538K one. ](*,) Rob, feel free to make use of the #-o smilie in your own time... :p

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Firefox users on dial-up - might I suggest the "Pong" and "Clines" extensions to kill time whilst you're waiting for large images to download. FWIW.

Alf":1cwlzt6s said:
Rob Lee":1cwlzt6s said:

Well I couldn't resist could I? I looked for http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/mkll-2.jpg. Suddenly this obscure comment becomes clear. That's the version that's 500K. The one I was waiting an age to download was the 1538K one. ](*,) Rob, feel free to make use of the #-o smilie in your own time... :p

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Firefox users on dial-up - might I suggest the "Pong" and "Clines" extensions to kill time whilst you're waiting for large images to download. FWIW.

:oops: ... I was in a hurry.... and all my photo stuff is on the other PC....and some magazine in the UK needed a photo.... will re-size one on Monday....

Only feeling a little bit guilty.....

Cheers -

Rob

Espedair Street":1qxd4nvc said:
Rob Lee":1qxd4nvc said:
(snip)

(snip)

OK, what I'd like to see is a 3mm Japanese chisel in that lovely looking bit of metalwork, just to be sure it does what the old version lacked :) Any chance?

Hi -

Probably not...

It's designed to work with about 6mm and up... but to tell you truth - I haven't tried it with anything smaller. Will ask someone to do it though - a side clamp jig may still be your best bet...

Will let you know what I find out....

Cheers -

Rob

6mm only? Ho Hum - jigs is how I do narrow or short blades with the Mk I at the moment (although jig is probably a bit too glorified a name for em!) - be good to see the results if you find someone to try it out :) At least 3mm is the narrowest I have so far!

Espedair Street":1nb6ahry said:
(snip)

- be good to see the results if you find someone to try it out :) At least 3mm is the narrowest I have so far!

Hi -

Sorry it took so long.... busy day here today...

From our R&D Manager -
I pulled a 3mm from stock - it measured 3.00mm wide near the tip. It tapers outward on all sides towards the handle. One side was acute to the reference surface ( back of blade) one side was obtuse to the reference surface.

I set it up for a 30 degree angle and honed the bevel flat. I disassembled and reset it up. I honed a second time. The bevel face was identical to the first. I then disassembled ( removed the registration jig, moved the stop position) and gave it to Ewan to set up to a 30 degree angle - gave him no instruction on set up other than to say the angle required was 30 degrees. His set-up produced the identical bevel angle.

Set up was straight forward. 3mm didn't seem to pose a problem in terms of holding the blade secure and upright.

We did test the 1/4" Japanese Chisel during validation testing with no issues.

I suspect the 1.5mm would not set up so easily and consistently. The blade could be pushed into the slot on the registration and the registration surface on the back of the blade is so small it would be hard to ensure consistent perpendicularity. However the bevel surface is so small it would be easy to sharpen a new bevel face each set-up even if was slightly different each time.

8)

Cheers -

Rob

Back