Where would i find wood that is 1000 years old?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"There are actually trees that are over 9500 years old........ "

Sod this feeling of being extremely mortal at 66. That's what I'm coming back as next time.

toolsntat":23i7996r said:
Not sure but thought Mike Cawthorne mentioned something about his bog oak being well over a 1000 years old at the open day last weekend :wink: :wink:

http://www.mactimbers.co.uk/Timber.htm

Give him a call he`s a really nice chap :D :D

Andy

Just spoke to Mike, very helpfull indeed, thanks again for the link.

Another question, shrinkage? I've been told that bog oak can shrink a fair bit. How much are we talking about though?

The items i will be making are 6 x 4in, door shaped, but to be honest if it changed slightly or looked a tiny bit cracked it wouldn't matter as i want the old natural weathered look.

Then again, if i want it 6 x 4...and it shrinks to half that size, i'd be a bit miffed! :lol:

Can bog oak be finished like any other wood, or would you probably not bother in order to keep the natural "oldness" of it?

Thanks,

Calv.

I used to salvage the bog oak and yew from the Bog of Allen in ireland before the Bord na Mona realised its worth and reburied it in large pits for seasoning. Which is the main problem drying soaking wet oak to a workable condition as in first you stand it on end to let it drain. So unless you have really seasoned wood it will split madly. I regarded my oak and yew so precious after all that work that i made it into jewelry with silver and silk, some small boxes etc. It can be polished to show the silver/blue long grain of oak with the pitch black.

Hi Calv,

Would 30,000 years minimum be old enough for you?

Link

If you want to do something small I've got some pen blanks left for just over a quid.

Back