Where would i find wood that is 1000 years old?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
A local market stall sells pendant necklaces that the seller claims are made from 1000 and 1500 year old wood.

Is it even possible to get a steady supply of wood this age? If so, where would you get such a thing?

I wanted to make something which is quite small, but wanted the oldest wood possible. I've had recommendations of reclamation yards in the past, but surely they wouldn't sell wood this old would they?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Calv.

Bog Oak is a good start, probably not 1000 yrs old tho

In New Zealand It is common to find items made from Swamp Kauri which is over 40,000 years old

Whilst in ireland apart from using bog oak and yew (6-7000 yrs old) i approached the cathedrals and they GAVE me their old oak beams from reconstruction projects for making into wedges, paper cutters etc which they sold as souvenirs

I use bog oak that we have had carbon dated to be around 5-6,000 years old. There living trees thought to be in excess of 1,000 years old.

Soulfly":1zf8cfls said:
I use bog oak that we have had carbon dated to be around 5-6,000 years old. There living trees thought to be in excess of 1,000 years old.

How about some photos of that bog oak, Soulfly?

There are actually trees that are over 9500 years old........

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/04/080414-oldest-tree.html

I have seen Welwhychias in the Namib desert that are over 2500 years old. Thousand year old stuff is merely a teenager in comparison!

Mike

I think Mallee is usually 1000 years old

Burl_Caps_RedMallee.jpg

We have a lump of Roman oak at work from around AD60. Apparently many tons were sold off after the excavations finished.
Matt

Thank you all for your replies, at least i know it is buyable then.

Calv.

Calv":10jacjdb said:
Thank you all for your replies, at least i know it is buyable then.

Calv.

You don't have to buy it. Get a list from the National Trust of Norman castles in the country. Visit them and wander around hacking off bits from the roof beams. The guards, however, may object. Strongly. And loudly. :lol:

Back