Where would i find larger peices of natural looking wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
I wanted to make a large door for a playhouse, but it's going to be about 3 or 4 ft tall, about 2 ft wide and at least 6 inches thick.

Would i find this sort of thing at a sawmills or can anyone recommend anywhere else? It's the thickness of the wood i'm having trouble finding.

I was thinking about pine, but other woods could be considered.

Thanks,

Calv.

Do you really mean 6 inches thick?
Seems awfully large for a playhouse.
Mike

Calv":1fw769ym said:
I wanted to make a large door for a playhouse.........and at least 6 inches thick.

Calv.

Yeah, playhouse for what exactly?.............baby rhinos?

Hi Calv,

If you're serious about wanting the door to be 6" thick, then possibly the only practical way of doing it would be to make it in the form of a box using thinner stuff or sheet materials.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Good luck finding hinges to hold that door!

Have you thought about railway sleepers? Some of them must be 6" thick.

I looked at some oak railway sleepers yesterday to make a barge rudder , 6" thick 10" wide and 6' long about £30 each . We where looking at ways to steer a 102' steel barge . I don't think i like the idea of a door that size trapping little fingers . :?

Lol i appreciate it sounds a little "robust" for a playhouse, but i need a larger than life version of a door that i already make. Thinking about it maybe 6 inches is a little thick, but i'm trying to immitate the old medieval type doors. It will have some carving on it and some black door furniture on it too.

I guess i could give it an older look by way of carving and the way it is finished and stained rather than by the actual build of the door. I just need something more sturdier than usual.

Thanks for the replys.

Calv.

Calv
Could you build a frame from 1x6 pine maybe and then stick a sheet of veneered MDF or such like on either side?
Cheers
Gidon

Calv, have you actually calculated the weight of a 6" thick piece of timber that size?!

If you are after a medieval type door why not build a torsion box skinned in ply then clad the outside in planks / panels etc to create the look without the cost and weight of solid timber?

Studs and decorative ironwork can go through the box as required.

Steve.

Back