Where to source wood ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcleod

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Looking for some help / advice / hints.....

I'm a relative newbie and still working in the garage at weekends (and yes like everyone else I'd love a dedicated workshop, but I digress).

My problem is one that I suspect is relatively common - where / how do I source raw materials....

At the moment I've managed to find a reasonably good timber merchant who has thus far humoured and decoded my attempts at purchasing timber for some small projects, but I'd love to know if it's possible to purchase wood, particulary hardwoods, in small quantities, planed all round and and in a range of thicknesses,,,,
(I have a couple of Taunton books which state - you can purchase hardwoods from your local home center - well maybe you can in the USA, but not in Essex !!!)

Or am I going to have to purchase a planner/thicknesser and start processing timber to get what I am looking for as it seems that unless I am prepared to build everything in 19mm then I'm stuck.....

I'm in essex, and the best supplier i've found is: E.O Burton in brentwood. Just do a google search for 'hardwood suppliers in essex' and you should come across a fair few.

- It's well worth investing in a p/t as you'll find your timber will be cheaper, and even if you buy PAR there is no guarentee that it'll be flat and ready to work, so you'll still need a p/t to get it how you want it.

kmcleod":3muu0n0e said:
My problem is one that I suspect is relatively common - where / how do I source raw materials....
A place to start is Chas. links of timber suppliers:

Timber Suppliers & Information

Give the closer ones a ring and see which will thickness for you.

But...at some point you will either need to thickness yourself via machine or hand. So I would suggest setting a little money aside until such time you purchase your own equipment, even if it is the hand tool route.

Oh, don't believe everything you read about the US. Yes, a well stock home center has a couple thicknesses of often 3 species. But that's it. There are "real" timber merchants who will thickness, resaw etc. for a fee. But the cost does add up.

Another possibility for now may be to purchase timber from the best local source after striking up a relationship with a local cabinet shop who may process planks you have broke down to lengths first (or whole planks). Some here will resaw and thickness sand larger glue ups for tops on their equipment. Often the fee is more reasonable than the timber merchant.

Take care, Mike

Back