where to sell engineering'y tools/things?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong place, do feel free to tell me to jog on if this breaks any rules.

Unfortunately my father passed last week, and he was known to dabble with metal butchery. while we are going through stuff left behind, apart from a bunch of snap-on sockets/spanners etc, I found some gauge stuff and some big taps, where would be the best place to offer these? i have no idea of prices to set but am trying to steer clear of fleabay etc.

Cheers
Craig

If you want some help identifying and clarifying some bits and bobs and a general fair price estimate you can just put pictures up here and there'll be a few members that would be more than happy to help you out.

You may even get some offers ;)

I'm not sure if that breaks any rules, I picked up a few things today, but most of it is a 2-3 hour drive and I won't be doing that again until maybe the weekend.

Here's what I picked up

IMG_20200827_194657.jpg
IMG_20200827_194718.jpg
IMG_20200827_194919.jpg
IMG_20200827_194735.jpg

If you want some help identifying and clarifying some bits and bobs and a general fair price estimate you can just put pictures up here and there'll be a few members that would be more than happy to help you out.

You may even get some offers ;)

As far as I'm aware it's not breaking the rules, we did similar for another member not long ago who's father died and left behind a lot of tools and miscellaneous stuff that needed identification.

The top one is a Mitutoyo Dial Caliper, they're worth about £25-30

Not too sure what the next one down is, I think it might be a largish Moore and Wright bore micrometer?

Next one down below that is a Starrett depth micrometer, about £10 without the box. Not a clue what that is below it though or to the left of it.

Last one is a Verdict Dial Indicator, I've got the very same one somewhere. You might get £5 for it by itself but you would get more if you had the box and the attachment pieces.

The second picture shows an inside micrometer. There should be more little rods to fit it so it can measure a range of hole or there will be more in a range of sizes to do the same. The long bit is to hold it in a deep hole. The picture with the 4 items has the depth micrometer. Bellow it is what I believe is a can micrometer. Originally use to measure the rim of food cans rims. The two little ones look like they are small hole micrometers. The two little balls move in/out to measure. At least that’s what they resemble. I haven’t seen any that looked quite like them. I wouldn’t mind a picture or two of other sides. The dial test indicator reads to 0.0001” and would cost $150 or more new. Used less but I’d be delighted to to get it for Trevanion’s fiver. Your father bought good tools.

Pete

The dial test indicator reads to 0.0001” and would cost $150 or more new. Used less but I’d be delighted to to get it for Trevanion’s fiver. Your father bought good tools.

You could try UK eBay Pete, you might pick one up exactly the same boxed with all the attachments for about £15-25 but shipping would be the killer.

verdict dial | eBay

I have several already in 0.0005" and 0.0001" and number of regular dial indicators up to 3.0" of travel. Even have an electronic one that reads to 0.00001" but the shop isn't climate controlled and the equipment isn't capable of machining anything with that kind of tolerances. The advantage of calibrating tools from time to time was getting the surpluses and broken measuring tools. :)

Pete

I have several already in 0.0005" and 0.0001" and number of regular dial indicators up to 3.0" of travel. Even have an electronic one that reads to 0.00001" but the shop isn't climate controlled and the equipment isn't capable of machining anything with that kind of tolerances.

Show off... :rolleyes:

;)

Facebook marketplace is a good bet
alas I dont use facebook, i think ill just throw it as a job lot for £50 to anyone that wants to take a punt on gumtree or something, as this is the tip of a rather large iceberg and we have a lot of tools to clear out so mum can get back to some kind of normality. i think theres a world of snap-on spanners and sockets etc. which i also need to deal with :cautious:

They are all measuring tools. No Idea on prices, but that's what they are. Sorry for the loss of Your father.
Thanks, losing my dad was bad enough, but we lost my brother the same weekend. 2020 is definitely a crappy year!

Sorry to hear about your dad.
except for the bore gauge ( 2nd picture) all have a use in a woodwork shop.
I would be careful how quick you dispose of these, particularly as they are not worth much when you sell.
using my dads tools is something special.

Last edited:
Avoide the tool shop in stallbridge, they will not give you a fair price.

Take an example to The Shambles in Devizes, to show the man, he will be honest with you.

I speak from experience.

Sorry to hear about your dad.
except for the bore gauge ( 2nd picture) all have a use in a woodwork shop.
I would be careful how quick you dispose of these, particularly as they are not worth much when you sell.
using my dads tools is something special.
oh im definitely keeping a few things to use, but there is a lot that i just have no use for and they may be a good deal for someone that will get that use from them.

Avoide the tool shop in stallbridge, they will not give you a fair price.

Take an example to The Shambles in Devizes, to show the man, he will be honest with you.

I speak from experience.
thanks, i hadn't thought about tool shops, but i dont think its soo much of the "vintage" variety.

Those are nice tools, unfortunately unless they’re in perfect working order they’re useless, so the price for buying secondhand and remotely is literally a few pounds each as the buyer is taking a punt that they’re no scrap

Aidan

Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong place, do feel free to tell me to jog on if this breaks any rules.

Unfortunately my father passed last week, and he was known to dabble with metal butchery. while we are going through stuff left behind, apart from a bunch of snap-on sockets/spanners etc, I found some gauge stuff and some big taps, where would be the best place to offer these? i have no idea of prices to set but am trying to steer clear of fleabay etc.

Cheers
Craig

If you're going to post any of those that you sell I'd recommend DPD as the best shipper at the moment. Good luck

The unidentified things are: two small bore gauges (they don't measure directly, but adjusted to fit the bore are then measured with a micrometer) and what I think is micrometer for measuring the wall thickness of tubing. The bore micrometer and the depth micrometer are incomplete, in that they normally come as part of sets with extra rods to allow for measuring greater values. You would probably be best off selling them through homeworkshop.org.uk, though given the incomplete nature of some I doubt you will get a lot for them. £50 as a job lot is probably top side.
Nick

Latest posts

Back