Where to get wood in the UK? (specifically Devon)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy P Devon

Reaction score
Hi
New to here and woodworking.
I'm looking for somewhere to source wood from. If I go to any of the 'big box' stores (B+Q, Wickes, Jewsons, etc) they only seem to have 'PSE' and white wood - species unstated.
I watch these you-tube videos and they come out with cherry, poplar, oak and other stuff unheard of.
Where can I buy these sorts of woods from? Especially as I only want a relatively small amount.
Any help appreciated.

Andy in Devon

In builders merchants, big box stores etc Whitewood is Spruce and Redwood is Scots Pine.
Looks like you're in Plymouth so if you want any of that stuff (or birch plywood incidentally), avoid b&q, wickes etc and go to Totem Timber; independent, friendly, reasonable prices, plenty of stock to pick through, and they'll deliver big sheets etc for a reasonable price, or free. Cutting stock to length is free, and cutting sheets on their panel saw is 50p per cut with the first 2 cuts free.
They do have very limited planed hardwoods (American white oak and 'red hardwood' which looks like Meranti) but it's very expensive.
Gillsons do a larger range of hardwoods, and I think they will plane it for you (I don't know, I buy rough sawn). They don't have a website anymore so hopefully they're still in business. They also do veneered boards.
As an aside, 'poplar' is called tulipwood in the UK. It's not fun to practise with, ash or beech is much better, and only slightly more expensive.
Crocadon sawmill used to be great. Sadly it closed down.
There's also Devon hardwoods, but that's a bit further out in Sidmouth.
Yandles is always worth a visit.

Yandles in somerset is 90 miles from plymouth, but take the family for a day out as they have a huge selection of exotic hardwoods, a large machine showroom, and a pretty good cafe alongside the craft shop.

Thank you rbland. I visited Gillsons today and was very happy with what they charged me for 2 nice lengths of hardwood!

MJN in Bovey Tracey carry a decent range of kiln dried hardwoods, can be cut and planed to whatever size you need.
I've not bought from them for a while but their prices seemed fair to me.
Only downside is you need to order in advance (phone or email), apparently their insurance doesn't cover punters rummaging through the warehouse!

Mjn have some big kit 😍
They often supply timber ready prepped ( dimensioned ) to joiners for window frames, doors etc which cuts down on shop time

I moved to Devon in Sept last year. I have had deliveries from Timbmet out of Oxford and Lathams out of Bristol. Minimum order of £500 for delivery. The service and material quality from both has been excellent.

Colin

Timbersource, in Waterlip just on the outskirts of shepton Mallet do some excellent timbers. They also deliver. Once a year they have an open sale day, anyone can wander the yard and massive warehouse/workshop and buy the ‘offcuts’ of many exotic and native species. Boards 1200x450x60 are considered off cuts, and down to £15-20 for things like Wenge, walnut, oak etc.

I’ll also second Yandles for a (expensive) day out. just pop in for a bowl blank, come out with five blanks, some spindle turning blanks, a router, couple of chisels, several finishing products and a slab of oak that just ‘drew me to it’. 🤔

Unfortunately/fortunately Yandles is a long drive from me... but I still manage to go at least twice a year and destroy the bank balance :ROFLMAO:

I havent been yet! I keep thinking i will but im always busy 🤔 im going past on sunday, but i guess theyll be closed? And coming back tuesday evening 😔
Maybe if you all email them, they'll stay open late, just for me? 😆😁

I rang Devon Timber last year and they wont let you visit and select plus a big delivery charge to Weymouth. Went back to Yandles and was surprised with how reasonable the prices were. Bought three large sawn Sapele boards about 250mm to 300mm wide by 50mm by 3 metres for about £60 a board.

Hi
New to here and woodworking.
I'm looking for somewhere to source wood from. If I go to any of the 'big box' stores (B+Q, Wickes, Jewsons, etc) they only seem to have 'PSE' and white wood - species unstated.
I watch these you-tube videos and they come out with cherry, poplar, oak and other stuff unheard of.
Where can I buy these sorts of woods from? Especially as I only want a relatively small amount.
Any help appreciated.

Andy in Devon
Hello,
A great source are charity shops, they are full of “brown” furniture that the modern world no longer needs. Solid mahogany chests, oak wardrobe, pine table etc. They will even deliver for a small fee, break up in garden and store in workshop. One thing you will be certain of that the wood will be well seasoned.
Regards

I havent been yet! I keep thinking i will but im always busy 🤔 im going past on sunday, but i guess theyll be closed? And coming back tuesday evening 😔
Maybe if you all email them, they'll stay open late, just for me? 😆😁
yandles are open till 4 on Sundays

I went past there on tuesday and there are roadworks / closures everywhere, you may need to come up through Bower Hinton from the a303

yandles are open till 4 on Sundays

I went past there on tuesday and there are roadworks / closures everywhere, you may need to come up through Bower Hinton from the a303
After i posted i googled it and saw that 🙃 i weighed it up and decided to give it a miss because ive bought a lot of kit lately and I'm supposed to be saving 🤣
I ended up going past bridport and Southampton, so missed whatever roadworks are going on.
Thank you for the info 🙏

Latest posts

Back