Where to get joinery grade wood in South Wales

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shed9

establiSHED member
Reaction score
As the title suggests.

Any recommendations for joinery grade wood in South Wales (preferably South West)?

My stock is now dwindling and I have some external doors to bang out. I've used a few suppliers in the past but wanting to hear of new ones (whilst not naming others - if that makes sense).

All advice welcome.

do you have a jewsons near ? ive bought sawn joinery grade pine in the swansea one they also stock sapele, american oak and maple as well if thats any use . ian

Not too sure what or how much you are after but could be worth contacting Timberman in Carmarthan to check what they have - they cut on site too - I've been in there when furniture makers have been sourcing timber for projects.
Cheers
Nick

Thanks both

Never thought to try Timberman, not too far from me either and I'm often going through Bronwydd. I've tried to avoid Jewson to date as I used them a few years back for construction lumber and kept getting burnt with quality. I will drop in next time I'm in the area and give that another look.

Thanks again.

Just to add to the mix I asked a few joiner mates in the area, Melingoed in Newcastle Emlyn seems to keep coming up as well. If I get to go down I will report back on them.

shed9":2l9lzdeo said:
Just to add to the mix I asked a few joiner mates in the area, Melingoed in Newcastle Emlyn seems to keep coming up as well. If I get to go down I will report back on them.

As a local (Ish) to the area, Melingoed's timber can be a bit hit or miss and isn't really the higher grade stuff, they mostly sell trusses and that kind of thing.

I'm not sure if Chadzy's in Emlyn has any large stock like that but might be worth checking out, He definitely sells decent plywood.

I will point out though that most of these places will get their timber through International Timber, which is owned by the Saint Gobain group which also owns Jewsons. So pretty much everywhere has the same grade of timber that Jewsons will be supplying, it's all luck of the draw.

Trevanion":2zjviptf said:
shed9":2zjviptf said:

As a local (Ish) to the area, Melingoed's timber can be a bit hit or miss and isn't really the higher grade stuff, they mostly sell trusses and that kind of thing.

I'm not sure if Chadzy's in Emlyn has any large stock like that but might be worth checking out, He definitely sells decent plywood.

I will point out though that most of these places will get their timber through International Timber, which is owned by the Saint Gobain group which also owns Jewsons. So pretty much everywhere has the same grade of timber that Jewsons will be supplying, it's all luck of the draw.

Yeah, found this out today from someone else as well. They suggested asking Jewson if I could trawl through the piles. Oh well....I will look into Chadzy.

Thanks

topchippyles":1yj7em54 said:
What timber are you after as i have a fair amount of douglas fir /oak and ash

Hi topchippyles, looking for some lengths to make 3-4 (sash) external doors so oak is probably the better contender. Would be good to know what yo have in terms of length/width and price for all three timbers though for now and other projects.

Where is your timber based?

Back