where to get Contemporary style Cabinet Door Knobs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunggaur

Established Member
Reaction score
hi folks looking to make some unique furniture but i do not want to use the normal run of the mill knobs.

has anyone got any good sites for unusual cabinet fittings at reasonable prices. i would like to try to find some sort of hidden button system or small unobtrusive modern external knobs.

many thanks

jon

Jon,

If you make your own, you can arrange to use 'dowel-fitting'. These you can glue-in and wedge with a nice contrasty timber. Unlike screws and/or nuts and thread, they won't ever come out, and they don't look so unsightly. :)

Just gurgle 'cabinet handles' or similar, (avoid 'knobs' in the search - can be embarrassing!) and you're bound to find something at least useful for ideas.
HTH
Greg

Benchwayze":2onoboma said:
Jon,

If you make your own, you can arrange to use 'dowel-fitting'. These you can glue-in and wedge with a nice contrasty timber. Unlike screws and/or nuts and thread, they won't ever come out, and they don't look so unsightly. :)
I've done a lot of turned knobs with 1/2 or 5/8" spigot (? if thats what it's called) which you glue into same size hole - the trick is to drill the hole blind but to put a 1mm drill through the bottom of the hole so that glue gets squoze through when you install the knob. Otherwise it's impossible due to air pressure etc. They won't come out in a hurry either. The 1mm hole is invisible on the inside of the drawer front.

Yes Jacob...

That would work.

I like to see the end grain of the 'spigot' (Thanks, because the word escaped me!) and a contrasting wedge. Just a detail. I'm probably 'Politically' incorrect, but I like to see it, as I do wedged tenons. The method could suffer from shrinkage I suppose, but it's unlikely and I think it holds just as well.

I made a sewing table at school in 1952. The ends were joined to the sides (5/8" thick) with through-dowels, (1/2"), wedged with ebony. (Real ebony in those days!) My sister still has it in her home, and the last time I saw it, it was fine.
The stop blocks for the sliding top had dropped out, so I replaced those. Maybe 5 years ago now.

Back