where to buy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doddy555

Established Member
Reaction score
hi my scroll saw came today, i need help , where do i buy mdf ? i live stalybridge sk15
thanks in advance
tracey

I've just shopped around for some for a workbench top.

B&Q were as cheap (and easier!) than Blanchford's, my local sawmill shop place. (though their pine is a lot cheaper than B&Q, or any of the other places I've found localishly)

One thing I noticed is that you can save a LOT of money if you can transport a big sheet..

607x1220 18mm £14.88

half as big again for an extra £1.31
607x1819 18mm £16.21

four times as big for an extra £2.60
1220x2440 18mm £17.48

Roll on the summer when I can strap big sheets to the roof bars on the car instead of getting the smaller stuff inside it! :D

EDIT
and they won't cut a big sheet down to size for you, I wondered if that was due to the nasty MDF dust or if it was to encourage people to buy smaller sheets...

My local B&Poo will only sell in the sizes that the've got in the racks.

On the other hand, the local Homebase have got a bleedin' great wall saw, and will cut your selected sheet down to handleable size while you watch.

Edit: I forgot to say (bearing in mind that you're obviously a novice) that sheet materials come generally in standard sizes of 8ft (2400mm.) by 4ft (1200mm.).

Some places will sell you smaller pieces, whilst others will insist that you buy the whole sheet, even if they cut it to size.

My suggestion is that you shop around (you must have a fair few outlets near you) and take it from there!

My local B&Q sell all of the sizes and will cut down large sheets for you on their wall saw. I can't complain about them really. I would not buy any of their timber though as it's sh*t. They are cheaper than my timber merchants for sheet goods though. :wink:

hi if you do buy from b&q they will cut a sheet up for you i have bought two sheets 18mm and they cut it down the middle so i could transport it .
makes there prices better and sves you having to cart a full sheet about
pip
ps it must depend where you live?

That was the idea! I needed a sheet 1530 by 610 so a big sheet cut up would have been perfect, and given me 2 layers and a usable 910 by 1220 left over..

Next time I'll argue the point if other B&Q's do cut MDF, and I'll look at Homebases prices - I discounted them as I thought them to be expensive..

I'm recycling an old wardrobe to make a worktop underlayer instead :)

I got some from their offcuts a couple of times. Very cheap and fine if it's just MDF.

I think it's only the larger "Warehouse" B&Q's which have panel saws to cut up sheets. There's 4 B&Q's round here - 2 small ones which don't stock much of anything (practically useless) and 2 big ones which have more choice and can cut sheets.

...Or you could always balance the sheet of MDF on sawhorses and hack at it with a blunt saw in the carpark while it's snowing :roll:

theartfulbodger":1p0lhkdj said:
mark aspin":1p0lhkdj said:
...Or you could always balance the sheet of MDF on sawhorses and hack at it with a blunt saw in the carpark while it's snowing :roll:

I did think of that, but laziness won out! :mrgreen:
Cordless circular saw....works every time, that is the battery's charged!!!!

Stew

theartfulbodger":1ugb0c5s said:
DIY Stew":1ugb0c5s said:
Cordless circular saw....works every time, that is the battery's charged!!!!
Stew

Now that is a good plan!

It'd pay for itself soon enough, and that's the best excuse for buying a new tool I ever did hear!
Pleased to have helped, only dont involve me into any marital disputes, I got enough of my own. (hammer)

Stew

Atlantic timber in Altrincham are really good only a hop from the M60. Will cut to size...any size... Geoff

Back