Where to buy tooling leather?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomashenry

Established Member
Reaction score
Last week I bought a load of veg tanned tooling leather on ebay, in order to make a bunch of strops to give as Xmas presents. Looks like it's not going to arrive in time though :evil:

Any ideas where I can buy some tooling leather in person? I'm based in Oxford....

I'd still be curious to know if there are any decent leather shops around, if anybody has recommendations...
I used to use JT Batchelor, but I lived in London and didn't have a car then (they have no parking), so it was worth the trip each time.

I've got a strop made from "Horse Butt", which is super hard and thick and the traditional favourite,
Strop-02.jpg

Strop-03.jpg

If you're sharpening a cut throat razor then maybe it's worthwhile tracking down some fancy leather. But for woodworking tools I honestly can't see any difference between this and the bit of MDF I used to use with a wipe of stropping compound rubbed on it!

Attachments

• Strop-02.jpg
    Strop-02.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Strop-03.jpg
    Strop-03.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 141
Take note of what Custard says. The saddler I got my nice thick strop leather from, only had shiny faced thick stuff but you can rough it up with a wire brush.

I got a couple of bits a while ago for next to nothing from a local shoe repairer. Only the size of a gents shoe but thick and sturdy enough for strops.

custard":165cchqg said:
But for woodworking tools I honestly can't see any difference between this and the bit of MDF I used to use with a wipe of stropping compound rubbed on it!
Apocryphal, I'm sure, but I've read a few times that leather is preferred as it has a bit of give - This allows it to curve nicely around a tool with a small bevel, chamfer, etc...?

Back