Where to buy Mirror Glass?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to make a full length mirror and do my own frame can anyone recommend somewhere to buy the glass in its plain state, ebay shops or anything?

Better to go local. Yellow pages glass shops or mirror makers.

When I made a big full length mirror, I found it was much cheaper to buy the biggest mirror in a local discount mirror shop, junk their frame, and trim it to match the one I'd made. About half the price of the local glazier.

Local glazier is your best bet in my experience, I was shocked at how little mine wanted for a 5 x 1.5 ft mirror. It was something like £16. I was expecting something much higher than that.

Cheers Mike

So many glass suppliers! - loads of em in the YP. They can do stuff like bevel edging etc too.

I use my local through YP and get a discount as a regular customer as I order so many.

Chems":3v4dg7gq said:
If I wanted to make a full length mirror and do my own frame can anyone recommend somewhere to buy the glass in its plain state, ebay shops or anything?

I also recommend the local glazier found in yellow pages. Depending on where the mirror is going you can get the glazier to recommend whether or not it needs any further protection - one I bought (to go into a childs free standing 'dressing up' mirror) needed shatter protection. I can confirm it worked because I dropped the mirror almost at the last bit of assembly - not a sharp edge appeared (at that point I gave up with the project).

On another occasion I bought a bespoke size for the inside of a fitted wardrobe door and had it bevelled edged and polished. I stuck that with clear silicon (as advised by the supplier).

If you can use a 'stock' size then the local cheap warehouse is probably easiest

So I got onto this today, rang a few local ones in the Yellow Pages, prices varied from £26 to £50.

£26 is not bad I don't think. I'm going to get 2 so see if I cant get a bit of a reduction.

Size was 5 1/2 foot tall by 1 1/2 wide.

I have a project in mind which i wanted 2 large mirrors for.

I put a wanted add on freecycle, and picked up 2 large mirror doors. Pull the frames off, cut them to the size you want :wink:

And iff the cutting goes to plan i will ahve numerous other peices of mirror to use up.

Back