Where to buy hard woods?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obraz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

I live in the East of England and am looking to find a good timber supplier, I'm new to woodwork and turning. I'm looking for Turning Blanks and planks to try and build a bookcase. I have had a look using the UKW LOCAL but there are none in my area. Any recommendations for places to buy wood? Even unconventional ways might be good to know. Cheers for any help. Obraz

Brooks Brothers at Maldon Essex is about 30 miles from Ipswich however if you want to self select you need to make an appointment

Don't know about bowl blanks though, maybe google Arboriculturalists in your area

Cheers for the help katellwood, I will contact them. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and set aside a day to go shopping for wood. Cheers

If you can get there Hardwood Offcuts in Brentwood Essex is well worth a trip, great guy running it called Tim. I had a great time down there chatting about wood working in general (he is very patient) and he has a brilliant selection of different timbers.

Planned would be better as I don't have a planer/thicknesser but I'm happy to put more work into it if you have a suggestion.

Mbartelltt99,

You're right they are but they're expensive as they do more kitchen work tops and table tops. They don't really sell planed wood. They also don't do turning rounds which is something I'm finding hard to find without paying a lot for delivery. Cheers for the help.

Hardwood Offcuts in Brentwood even has a bandsaw so you can cut your own rounds. I have no affilation to them its just a great day out and have so many nice timbers, they have a large work shop next door and can machine anything for you. I drove up from West London and will probably go back soon for some more maple when money (and the wife) allows.

Ian

http://www.hardwoodoffcuts.co.uk/gallery

stiles and bates are really good for turning blanks also will machine to order as well i believe , ian

A second vote for Brentwood.
I went there about 3 months ago (not long after they started selling stuff to the public) and its a lovely place, chilled out etc.

they did say there were expanding to the whole barn, but dont know if they have yet.
I want/need some more timber so hope to get there in the next few days as I've some leave :)

You should try Ternex near Welwyn Stuart. They sell hardwoods and are closer to you than Brentwood.

Hello all
I went on Saturday to hardwood off cuts (Brentwood), they have 2 farm barns now full.
I full of offcits and one full of platted lengths, service and verity great. The guy in there was happy to help and answer all my questions (a lot of them) and what I could tell realistic prices. I have a video of the place (couldn't attached it from my phone) well organised and all woods fully labelled and in sections.

I would say if you don't have a thicknesser you might struggle using the wood from here as it's all in board form not planks. Saying that I did buy a lovely bit of English oak which will be be making into a TV stand.

Cheers everyone

English Woodlands Timber at Cocking are excellent for unusual english timbers ... I bought a beuatiful pippy oak kiln dried plank 850mm wide 65mm thick and 4500 long...
01 730 816941

Paul

Back