Where to buy decent workshop apron?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomorph

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got one from B&Q but had to wash it as it was like stiff cardboard... and now it's shrunk during the drying cycle lol... Well it did cost less than a fiver. :lol:

OK, my question is where would you suggest getting a decent woodworking apron from. I can't use overalls as I'm extremely long bodied (I'm 6' 1" but have 30" inside leg) so even XXXL overalls feel like they are trying to castrate me when I stand up.

I'd also like the apron to be a dense material in the sense that it will be easyish to remove dust from... maybe I should get a leather one?

Cheers,

Argee":1qevfork said:
No problem, John - that's the result of having a retentive short-term memory and their catalogue as bedside reading! Holy Cr** - how sad is that?! :)
Pretty normal behaviour round here, I should think. :lol:

Argee wrote
No problem, John - that's the result of having a retentive short-term memory and their catalogue as bedside reading! Holy Cr** - how sad is that?!
Not as sad as you think, Ray....Its my bedside companion too :oops:

Argee":3h1vp1za said:
No problem, John - that's the result of having a retentive short-term memory and their catalogue as bedside reading! Holy Cr** - how sad is that?! :)

Ray.

I'm worse... I have one next to my bed and one in the loo and one in the living room. I seem to get another each time I do an order. :?

mahking51":3h1vp1za said:
I NEVER thought I would see an inside leg measurement posted here! :oops:

All I know is that I'm one wierdly proportioned guy (tall from the bum up). Who else do you know who drove his friends Fiesta home by removing the sun roof and then driving the car like a tank (head sticking out the top). The looks I got on the way home were hilarious. :D

Nigel Voisey also does a nice one with your name or logo on it .

not sure if he has a website but he's usually at most woodworking shows and he does it while you wait.

I

John, i have the same one as Ray, and it really is a nice apron.

I know that it costs a few bob more then other brands, but this is a heavy duty apron, made of really thick leather, and as you can see it will even withstand weld spatter.

Regards

Woody

Pretty normal behaviour round here, I should think.

Believe it! I've got spreadsheets comparing the cost of bits from Axminster, Screwfix, and Tilgear - and all 3 catalogues are duplicated everywhere...

As an aside, has anyone else felt that screwfix are gently increasing their prices? I have this unprovable suspicion that now they've really captured a chunk of the market, the 'real' bargains are quietly vanishing from their lineup. I bought a mains drill for a fiver about 3 years ago - try and find that sort of bargain now - or is it just me?

Shady":32g8918y said:
Believe it! I've got spreadsheets comparing the cost of bits from Axminster, Screwfix, and Tilgear - and all 3 catalogues are duplicated everywhere...

Oh my god - there is a clone of my father....

not woodworking mind but just about everything else!

Cheers

Tim

Shady for cheaper prices try Toolstation... it's a company started by the original owner of Screwfix.

The main companies I look at are Axminster, Rutlands, Toolstation and Toolshop Direct (I think that's the name... can't find the little a6 thick catalogue atm and my memory sucks).

Toolstation sell some rubbish stuff but there are the few little gems and their delivery record is impressive... longest I've had to wait for an order is around 40 hours and the shortest was a mind boggling 9 hours.

I'm ordering the Axminster leather apron this thursday... Ray and Woody which one do you have? The one with pockets or the one without?

Shady":3tsplhth said:
Pretty normal behaviour round here, I should think.

I think there's a world of difference between a catalogue, or ten, beside the bed and actually making spreadsheets to compare prices... :-s :shock: :lol:

Apron related comment? Erm, don't wear pale colours under leather aprons 'cos I gather some folk have had trouble with staining from the leather and lost valuable SWMBO points.

Cheers, Alf

John I have the one with the pocket. Obviously i have not compared the 2 of them side by side, but IMHO the pocket is not worth the extra £20.

Regards

Woody

FWIW I read an article a few moths back (by Keith Smith IIRC) that recomnded that you should always wear a leather apron when working with a router.

The reasons were two - fold: -

1) Routers tend to eject very small particles of wood at a high enough speed to penetrate several layers of cloth.

2) Routers are usually used at approximately groin level!!! :shock:

So. if you dodn't want to end up as a rather gruesome kebab, get a leather apron! :D

Regards

Gary

Taffy that £5 apron from B&Q tended to suck up the damn MDF dust from my router and took longer to de-dust than it did to do the damn routing hence why I wanted a leather one instead of canvas. Canvas/cotton ones were sufficient for hand tool use but with power tools getting more err... powerful they just aren't doing their job anymore.

I'm even happier that I've ordered the leather apron now that I've heard about the danger to groin level. :D

Back