where to buy decent hardwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dusty mike

Reaction score
Apologies - I'm a newbie to this and despite having worked with softwood for a long time I've never had any reason to look into buying hardwood from merchants - I want to try and make some furniture.

I've looked online but as always all the sites say they are the best priced and their timber is the best - so that cant be right - can anyone tell me who they regularly use for decent priced hardwood.

I'm not looking for anything out of the ordinary and any help would be really appreciated - this stuff is so expensive I am trying to avoid making a massive mistake.

If you mention where you are located, you will get personal recommends from posters.

some merchants are more hobbyist friendly than others.....

Our local Mens Shed ( look it up on Google ) gets regular supplies of Sapele offcuts from a local furniture maker. They are not small as we collect from his wastebin ( a large skip) and are often 4 meters long and can be 100mm x 25mm cross section. These are available to shed members for a nominal sum. Our Shed also gets donations from other suppliers on occasion. Suggest you try your local Mens Shed.
Nigel

Yandles, superb for hardwood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure how far Tyler Hardwoods http://tylerhardwoods.com/page/home are from you. They have a place between Hungerford and Salisbury. I've bought Oak and Utile from them and they seem accommodating to those of us only wanting small quantities at any one time.

John

I second timbersource. Being online is quite useful, and always got good stuff. Though with the delivery costs it can get expensive.

Once thing to consider also is your equipment. If you have a PT (or prep by hand), you might be able to use other sources, such as reclaimed or sawmills.

One that is fairly cheaper (and recommended by Paul Sellers) is Scawton Sawmill. They are a bit far for you but if you buy 5 or 10 cubic ft it might be interesting.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I make oak furniture and boxes. I buy old furniture at auction places take it apart and resaw/replane it. Things like old tables and cabinets go for peanuts as nobody wants dark furniture these days and they yield a surprising quantity of good quality stable timber in thesort of sizes you need for remaking.

campagmike":2gb28vxy said:
I make oak furniture and boxes. I buy old furniture at auction places take it apart and resaw/replane it. Things like old tables and cabinets go for peanuts as nobody wants dark furniture these days and they yield a surprising quantity of good quality stable timber in thesort of sizes you need for remaking.

You say surprising yields...I take it you are making small boxes most of the time?

By the time you have taken apart say a medium sized set of drawers planed etc. You aren't going to be left with a significant lengths of anything?

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Bodgers":j6fau1jr said:
By the time you have taken apart say a medium sized set of drawers planed etc. You aren't going to be left with a significant lengths of anything?

I destroyed a draw leaf table a couple of years ago that I picked up for a fiver, the three tabletop pieces were solid 12" x 1" x 36" quarter-sawn oak, the rest was veneered plywood. I've yet to use any of it but it's good stuff.

I wouldn't want to know how much a piece of quarter sawn oak in that width would cost if you were actually going out of your way to get it, probably more than a fiver.

LarryS":igjaavwl said:
Yandles, superb for hardwood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You need to be a bit careful though; that woodshed is very dark and there's a lot of stuff in there, but yes, if you're lucky, you can pick up a few gems - Rob

Bodgers":yr2zcbr2 said:
campagmike":yr2zcbr2 said:

You say surprising yields...I take it you are making small boxes most of the time?

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
No in fact mostly furniture. Stuff like sideboards consoletables end tables etc.Ok you wont have sizes for a welsh dresser but the last draw leaf table I bought gave me 6 pices of oak 40" x 3" x 1 1/8 plus several panels 3/4 " x 12" x36" and lots of thick shorter lengths from the under frame. all for £3 plus 15%buyers commission. You wont find cheaper. Give it a go. At that price it is even cheap for firewood. Heaven forbid!!!

I don't understand those imperial sizes, but I assume you are getting decent amounts of material.

I suppose you have to trade off the time spent in breaking up and processing old furniture Vs cost of new timber and decide if it is worth it.

Latest posts

Back