Where to buy british hardwoods in/near Derbyshire

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Have asked this before but lost my notes.
Want to buy sawn dry sycamore for table tops 34mm thick (sawn) or thereabouts. Not a lot about 0.3 to 0.5 cubic metres (edited!!) (6 table tops). Want to do it over phone to be delivered etc.
Where best?
There's Lavers, Brookstimber, but older firms seem to have disappeared and am a bit out of touch.

Can’t help you with your question, but the math seems off to me. 0.03 cubic meters would be 1 square meter board thats 3cm thick, no? and you planning to do 6 table tops with that?

Hmm yes try again. Length 1.8 x width 0.8 x thickness 0.04 x number 6 = 0.3456 cu metres. Thanks Osvaldd!

I didn’t mean to be rude to question your math, Jacob. To me it just seemed like a very small amount for 6 table tops. 4mm thick?

tree station in gorton is good if you can't find anything closer to you, they had a massive amount of sycamore when I went last time.

Osvaldd":1p5mzfn2 said:
I didn’t mean to be rude to question your math, Jacob. To me it just seemed like a very small amount for 6 table tops. 4mm thick?
No you were quite right! 40mm nearer the mark!
Actually they'd probably finish nearer 30mm depending on what I get, but too much timber is always better than too little.
Might try some more remote places and see how delivery charges affect a quote.

thetyreman":2tomw3o6 said:
tree station in gorton is good if you can't find anything closer to you, they had a massive amount of sycamore when I went last time.
Cheers ta TT. I've dropped them an email

RogerBoyle":3a6ssfm3 said:
https://www.scawtonsawmill.co.uk/
Never had an issue with any of the wood I've ordered but then again I drive up and collect it lol
I do believe that they do a delivery service
Rightho thanks Roger. I take that as a recommendation as presumably you could have tried somewhere nearer like Harlows?
I'm into ordering by phone and getting it delivered but maybe I'll take a trip out first time and have a look.

I've had wood delivered from Scawton. No complaints. Helpful on the phone, the actual delivery was done by strapping it to a pallet and using a courier.

Jacob":2ggo2vcd said:
RogerBoyle":2ggo2vcd said:
https://www.scawtonsawmill.co.uk/
Never had an issue with any of the wood I've ordered but then again I drive up and collect it lol
I do believe that they do a delivery service
Rightho thanks Roger. I take that as a recommendation as presumably you could have tried somewhere nearer like Harlows?
I'm into ordering by phone and getting it delivered but maybe I'll take a trip out first time and have a look.

Its a small place Jacob... But its in some nice country and they do have some beautiful bits of wood there... Definite recommend from me
Cheers

lurker":34nrwe25 said:
Sam R":34nrwe25 said:
Try Whitmores (north Leicestershire) & Sykes (Warks) both good merchants
Whitmores is in the south of Leicestershire

Right you are! They do delivery. There is a sawmill/mouldings outfit in Cheshire (I think!) but the Leicester yard is what you want for timber. One of the few I trust not to send me good quality without picking myself. They are also happy for you to pick through.

Right then. Thanks for that. So thats
Whitmores (Leicestershire)
Sykes (Warks)
https://www.scawtonsawmill.co.uk/ (with 2 recommendations)
tree station in gorton (emailed - no reply I think they probably don't do sawn, dried, boards)
I'll try the others. Main thing is if they have it in stock so they know what they've got, rather than bringing it in to order as bigger suppliers would do.

Latest posts

Back