Where to buy blue paper roll these days

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideways

UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I used to buy 6 packs of those biggish blue paper rolls from Screwfix for general clean up. It was always good quality and value.
I get through about a roll a month and I was reminded again how good it was when wiping old oil out of a (new to me) metalworking lathe headstock the other day.
After a few flushes in diesel, I soaked up the last oil and some stubborn metal fragments from the bottom of the headstock without the paper tearing and going fluffy. No lint left behind to worry about.
Excellent !
So I called in Screwfix today to restock with another 6 pack and was mightily disappointed.
It seems the quality fell off a cliff earlier this year when Screwfix changed from a Kimberly Clark manufactured product to something from Kingfisher International. It's tat by comparison.

Can anyone recommend a source for a good branded product from KC or Tork at a sensible price ?
Thanks !

ebay has more than you can shake a stick at - I've bought loads from different sellers - all did the job - the branded stuff is just too expensive

There's a guy a few miles down the road has a big white van parked at his from gate with loads, I can't remember the price but it's quite keen

Try a motor factors place or local car garage supplier, bought a 6 pack last year for a pound a roll plus the vodka & tonic

Cheers guys.
Watching ebay and I'll take a look at Costco + ask a couple of the local garages where they get theirs.
The better stuff may be a bit dear but if I have some cheap rubbish (and a lot of it really is) fall apart when I need it not to, that has a cost in time and aggro.

I found my ĺast blue roll ones trash to. I use the white aldi jumbo rolls, been very good.
I Just buy a couple twin roll packs when on offer.

Excellent. Lint free is what I'm after.
Price is essentially the same as Screwfix plus the delivery. I'll take the Kingfisher ones back and try a 6 pack of those :)

Thanks but kitchen roll isn't suitable for the jobs I use the blue stuff for.
Wipe anything rough over with kitchen roll - expensive or cheap - and it leaves lint and fragments behind.
This can ruin a spray paint job if you don't go over it with something else to get rid, or leave loose fragments of paper that can get washed into open bearings in a gearbox by the splash lubrication.
I use kitchen roll for mopping up spills / drips and stuff too but need the blue paper to be tougher lint free stuff.
The Wipe Shop above looks like they have the answer :)

I used to buy 6 packs of those biggish blue paper rolls from Screwfix for general clean up. It was always good quality and value.
I get through about a roll a month and I was reminded again how good it was when wiping old oil out of a (new to me) metalworking lathe headstock the other day.
After a few flushes in diesel, I soaked up the last oil and some stubborn metal fragments from the bottom of the headstock without the paper tearing and going fluffy. No lint left behind to worry about.
Excellent !
So I called in Screwfix today to restock with another 6 pack and was mightily disappointed.
It seems the quality fell off a cliff earlier this year when Screwfix changed from a Kimberly Clark manufactured product to something from Kingfisher International. It's tat by comparison.

Can anyone recommend a source for a good branded product from KC or Tork at a sensible price ?
Thanks !
just as a side issue, Screwfix seems to have gone off a cliff lately. The last few orders I have put in, “Click & Collect” they have had no stock and I have had to wait for supply. Frustrating.

I get mine from a PPE place called mainman supplies.
It is the more "dense" kind without the wrinkles or whatever you call the texture some have. I find this kind less likely to leave fluff.

Last edited:
Kingfisher is B n'Q and they own Screwfix so that's the business logic, but like all businesses it's the bean-counters who make the decisions, not someone who actually knows what the item is to be used for.

My demands for lint free are not critical so I buy a big bag of kitchen rolls from Costco for the house and the workshop, but I will bear that in mind if doing something more critical. Thanks for that input.
Rob

Could also try your local Janitorial Suppliers which is probably where I would go if I was looking. My local one although aimed at the trade is happy for anyones money.

I've ben learning that Wypall is the Kimberly Clark brand aimed at industrial etc wiping (rather than janitorial and catering cleanup) and the L10, 20, 30, 40 series are the cheaper (but not cheap) single use products.
The bigger the number, the tougher they are and less lint they're supposed to leave.
If memory serves, what Screwfix used to sell and that worked well for me was the L20 roll.
I've had a lot of good feedback to my question here so I have a few new options to try for both cheap and better quality products.
Thanks everyone !

Latest posts

Back