Where,s Custard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't speculate on personal reasons, and wouldn't want to. But what Custard did was try to talk about the bits of making on a woodworking forum, and sooner or later, when you actually do high quality work and post about it, you start to realize it's a waste of time. There's no reciprocation and the discussion you get back often isn't meaningful.

It's probably not by chance that most of the folks who do fine work come in blazing and then at some point realize they're wasting their time. That's not what woodworking forums have ever really been about and the discussion can only advance so far.

I'm very happy to report that all is well with Custard. He has chosen to take a break from the forums because, in his words, he found that writing about woodworking was distracting him from actually doing it.
And writing about it for no recompense can get wearing. I can't say I blame him for backing off because it seemed very likely to me that he put a great deal of effort and time into the information he presented here. I can sympathise because I used to get paid (not very much admittedly) for writing articles for woodworking magazines. One of the main reasons for stopping was the time and effort I had to put in for quite small reward ended up hacking me off so I stopped. I realise it's not exactly the same situation, but there are similarities.

I've never been a particularly prolific poster in this or other forums. I've been here since about 2004, I think, and my post count is still below 3,000. Over time my responses to questions in forums have got shorter and less technical than they used to. I also believe I've become more selective about which threads I'll get involved in. There are quite a number of questions that appear where I think I could offer help, but for some reason I just can't get the enthusiasm to put together an answer, especially if a decent answer requires quite a bit of technical input, perhaps really needing drawings or photographs to add clarity, even if those images are already available on my computer. Slainte.

Last edited:
And writing about it for no recompense can get wearing. I can't say I blame him for backing off because it seemed very likely to me that he put a great deal of effort and time into the information he presented here. I can sympathise because I used to get paid (not very much admittedly) for writing articles for woodworking magazines. One of the main reasons for stopping was the time and effort I had to put in for quite small reward ended up hacking me off so I stopped. I realise it's not exactly the same situation, but there are similarities.

I've never been a particularly prolific poster in this or other forums. I've been here since about 2004, I think, and my post count is still below 2,000. I think that over time my responses to questions in forums have got shorter and less technical than they used to. I also think I've become more and more selective about which threads I'll get involved in. There are quite a number of questions that appear where I think I could offer help, but for some reason I just can't get the enthusiasm to put together an answer, especially if a decent answer requires quite a bit of technical input, perhaps really needing drawings or photographs to add clarity, even if those images are already available on my computer. Slainte.

quite agree Richard

There are quite a number of questions that appear where I think I could offer help, but for some reason I just can't get the enthusiasm to put together an answer....

I think it's simpler. He posted a lot - it doesn't get used. You don't necessarily (if you're enthusiastic about the information) notice right away because there's a few happy people talking about what you've posted, but sooner or later a question comes up that you've given a good answer for and it doesn't show up, or you see no proof that it's ever used.

Speaking in custard's shoes and not mine - I talk about things that I get a tingle from. There are too many things of feel and ease that you can't communicate in words.

It doesn't even need to be a negative thing - it's not like he maybe blew his stack or anything, even quietly, just that he decided to prioritize his time elsewhere.

I for one know how much I value the expertise and wisdom on here given freely and without frustration at newbie questions, without such the forum wouldn't be the place it is.

I do feel like im hiding on the internet instead of doing something productive 😁😆 mind you, ive also learnt a lot and seen some interesting things through reading all the threads that pop up.

Well I asked the original question,whatever his reasons for not posting I'm just pleased to hear he is ok.The trade and society need people like him who give of their time as well as receive

Latest posts

Back