Where have all the bandsaws gone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a big shortage of materials so material prices have increased a lot (steel 108%, aluminium 72%, one of our suppliers reports). it is a global problem. Shipping is another big issue which is slower than it used to be. Sadly there is no JIT at present. Record Power keep delaying our deliveries, the machines are coming through slowly but it’s probably best to get your name in a queue/ get a machine on order when you have decided which one so the price is fixed, lots of suppliers are being forced to increase prices.

I can also tell you that whilst Axminster website shows no stock I have bought stuff recently that was showing out of stock but in my local store they had stock and I got almost everything I needed.
Physically going to a store if near enough may be a better option.

HTH

Padster

Dare I say, there are lots of used machines on gumtree and other sites, or used machinery dealers if you prefer to have a guarantee.

Dare I say, there are lots of used machines on gumtree and other sites, or used machinery dealers if you prefer to have a guarantee.

Hi yes, I have been looking, but not a lot about in our "local" area, and anything over 50 odd miles kills anything 2nd hand on delivery costs....but I will keep looking!

Stevbod....
look at parcel monkey and others, they get quotes from 1man and his van.....
never take the first couple of quotes tho...better realistic quotes come along after a few days.....
I used them a lot.....it's give the rough address /post code for collection and delivery and a driver coming ur way will offer a price.....
Had all kinds of machinery shipped for not a lot o money, some even several hundred miles.....
it's all down to luck.....
my last job was a Wadkin RS lathe, in big heavy bits and on a pallet.....Morcombe, Lancs to Petereborough...£125 for cash.....
and he had a tail lift....
it does work very well.....

pallet services are very good at breaking bandsaws if not securely packed or fixed to a pallet. The top heavy nature means they are easy to topple when being transhipped. Be careful.... (their insurance is usually very poor too)
Agreed - not an issue for us luckily as ours go out horizontal, but I have several customers who use a tilt indicator device when sending upright - generic link below, not an endorsement - if nothing else, they say as soon as the courier sees it they tend to take a bit more care than normal.

One customer in Norway said it reduced damages by 70%

https://www.packability.co.uk/TiltWatch-Plus-Tilt-Indicators

I got an Axminster 1950 about 8 weeks ago, just before they went out of stock.
No great prescience, just luck. We are so used to "want it, order it, get it" so need to adjust our expectations. I remember my father ordering a car, pretty standard one, in the 1960s and waiting excitedly for about 6 months.

My daughter, new house and own garden, has been after a barbecue for a while. I went round to our local family run no website garden centre. Brilliant with plants, hopeless at marketing, and behold, at one end of their stuff and things building a small pile of barbecues in dusty boxes. They still have some because nobody would think to buy one from there. It's worth trying the less obvious vendors.

Snainton Woodworking seem to have some RP in stock, proper small business and worth a phone call. Shipping free or low cost. Bedford saw and tool also claim to have stock. I got my lathe from Bedford, they are not big on websales and I found they had all sorts of things that weren't listed. Another one to phone.

Both will likely only have one or two and their websites might be out date but nothing to lose by asking.

I should just add that I was lucky enough to find a Sabre 350 bandsaw in stock yesterday - I've been waiting since February for my order from another dealer. That which is now on its way is the last one in the dealer's current stock. So, if you're waiting for a bandsaw (or any other type of saw), then it pays to hunt around for what you want - you just never know what you might find!

G

Many things are only going to go up in price and lower in availability until Q3 2022 at earliest I think.
Import / cost pricing is still crazy as a friendly heads up to all in case you hadn't already read about it - If you can get something and it's an Ok price, then fair play.
Just letting you all know my views..

Mail out from hand tool manufacturer yesterday cannot guarantee pricing after July due to raw material costs and shortages vs 2020

• Birch plywood… + 230%
  • Steel for the production of planer knives… + 212%
  • Dried planed softwood profiles… + 138%

No great prescience, just luck. We are so used to "want it, order it, get it" so need to adjust our expectations. I remember my father ordering a car, pretty standard one, in the 1960s and waiting excitedly for about 6 months.

My daughter, new house and own garden, has been after a barbecue for a while. I went round to our local family run no website garden centre. Brilliant with plants, hopeless at marketing, and behold, at one end of their stuff and things building a small pile of barbecues in dusty boxes. They still have some because nobody would think to buy one from there. It's worth trying the less obvious vendors.

Snainton Woodworking seem to have some RP in stock, proper small business and worth a phone call. Shipping free or low cost. Bedford saw and tool also claim to have stock. I got my lathe from Bedford, they are not big on websales and I found they had all sorts of things that weren't listed. Another one to phone.

Both will likely only have one or two and their websites might be out date but nothing to lose by asking.

..ta for the heads up...tried both...."out of stock"...I am not in any particular hurry though, so happy to wait a bit...

Bedford saw and tool nice small business to deal with. Not a great internet site but well worth a call.

Sure will inflation our way out of the debt mountain! With prices and therefore taxes like that!!?????

Cheers James

Sheet Alloy: was £100, now £240.

Hi Flynnnwood, yes, that sounds about right - mail from Taiwan contact below - this is what's happening over there regarding factory raw material increases, plus they now have their potential first Covid wave starting with just 3% vaccinated (population 23mill) - this will affect supply and cost.

• Frames for saws – 43%
  • Sheet metal – 100% - US and EU can hardly get it from China. Export from Tw increased by 89% in Q1. Woodworking machines are not the priority
  • Copper – 80%
  • Aluminum – 30%
  • Card board – 25%
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En

Latest posts

Back