Where do you source good quality timbre from

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobson156

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to "get into" wood working and one think I am really struggling with is getting good quality timbre.

The only obvious places are DIY stores like B&Q ect... but at least speaking for my local one they only really seem to sell low quality construction grade timbre and really warped and poorly dimensioned pine.

So, my question is, where do you purchase timbre in interesting woods (not just pine) at reasonable prices.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum. You don't say where you are. that would help. Somewhere on the forums, There is a list of woodyards by area. Just do a search

bourbon":1pc474vj said:
Welcome to the forum. You don't say where you are. that would help. Somewhere on the forums, There is a list of woodyards by area. Just do a search

Good point. I am in New Mills, just south of Stockport/Manchester; I can travel a bit and have a small van.

Hymor timber in Stoke on Trent are very good and I find they are reasonably priced but probably 30 miles from you.

Treestation in Gorton are meant to be good but I have not bought from them yet.There is also a recycled wood project in Manchester you could try them.

HappyHacker":2pnmxla5 said:
Treestation in Gorton are meant to be good but I have not bought from them yet.There is also a recycled wood project in Manchester you could try them.

they are really good, my favourite supplier, don't tell anyone though... :wink:

they also will cut stuff to size for you which is great, if you give them a cutting list they can do it, can highly recommend them, very friendly and professional staff.

I dont know if Wildwood timber near Knutsford are still trading. They has some nice native timbers. Mainly rough sawn boards but I think they also offered a mining service
Ian

Hi, apologies for not returning to this thread sooner, but thanks for all of the suggestions.

It looks like I'll need to pay Treestation a visit, when things have eased up a bit more.

Cheers!

I'm in New Mills too.
Redmoor have ok-ish PAR whitewood and a reasonable supply of construction grade timber. Haver always been happy for me to select boards (pre lockdown) and will cut to size.
Tomlinson Parbans in High Lane have a reasonable selection of hardwoods and good redwood. Their shop is open to visitors.

Back