Where did that come from

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobscarle

Established Member
Reaction score
So there I was sitting at my parents house drinking a cup of tea, when my 12 year old nephew comes over to me. I had promised that he could come over and have a go at a small project in the shed.

"Uncle Bob", he said, "When am I going to come over to your house to make something in your shed?"

"Anytime you like, Tom", I replied, "We just need to organise it with your Mom and Dad. Have you thought of anything you might like to make? We could do a small bookshelf for your bedroom, or maybe a box or a bowl for your Mom."

"I know what I want to make", he continued.

"What"

"Ski's"

"Ski's?", I spluttered.

"Yes. I want to make a pair of ski's."

He has never been skiing and as far as I know has never shown any interest in skiing. So, where did that come from?

Bob

Hi Bob
You love them really! In my younger days we used fluorescent light diffusers or plastic rainwater gutters for skis. You just stood in the middle on a slope, supported yourself with two bits of stick and got somebody to give you a gentle push and away you went. Sooner or later you fell off sometimes going at quite a lick but it was heaps of fun. Just an idea although in those days we didn't do risk assessments.

Regards Keith

Apologies for being OT, just curious about your use of the word 'mom', are you originally from across the pond?

Mike

How dare you!!!!!!!! English and very proud of it! :)

Found this on a web site, it may go a little way to explain things about the use of "Mom" as opposed to "Mum".

Mum and Mom
Do you think Mom is an American word for Mum and that the latter is the correct spelling in England? Think again. The word Mom is widely used in the Midlands.

"Mom and Mommy are old-English words, words that are stilled used in Birmingham and most parts of the West Midlands, we all use the term Mom and Mommy never Mum or Mummy, as here the correct spelling is Mom and Mommy has been for hundreds and hundreds of years, when people from the West Midlands went to America all those years ago they took our correct spelling with them, hence they use Mom and Mommy and we still do in the West Midlands. Here in the West Midlands the words Mum and Mummy are frowned upon as they look and sound wrong, thankfully our local schools teach our correct spelling of Mom and Mommy and the kids still come home with handmade cards with out correct Mom and Mommy Spelling on.

I believe parts of Scotland use the Mom and Mommy term too, as I have relatives there and whenever I visit them, they and the people I visit or see use the term Mom too, however I'm not sure how widespread its use is.

We in Birmingham and the West Midlands get annoyed when people wrongly think we are using American words, when the word Mom and Mommy aren't American they were British to start with, it's just unlike the West Midlands other areas changed their spelling."

Not sure of the site, just found it from Google. Interesting though. Hadn't given it any thought until a few minutes ago.

Bob (Very British Bob at that)

I like it when I learn something new :)

Interesting about parts of Scotland too, I used to frequent a reptile forum with a Scottish member who also used 'the other spelling'. They were younger and I made the assumption that it was media influence. Glad I was wrong.

Sorry to veer from the path of the thread. :oops:

Back