Where did all the water go?!?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every so often, everyone in the world drinks water at the same time, so it only looks as if it has disappeared, probably by the next day, everything will swing the other way as everyone in the world has a pee and flushes the toilet.

When i was at school it was estimated that the worlds water had been through people 8 times 🤔

The south of the country as a whole is sinking. The north sunk under the weight of ice in the last ice age and it is still rising up now the pressure is off, the south is sinking in consequence. It probably was underwater before the ice age, or when sea levels were higher than they are now.
I did read somewhere, a long time ago, that the tides moving over the Atlantic shelf can raise and lower the southern end of the UK. It might be measurable but I can't say I've noticed. :)

Thanks for that Brian. Interestingly, the climate change can only really have happened since the industrial revolution and that would presumably have been fairly minor at start ( compared to the massive effect we make today ).... so presumably you'd expect to see a bigger spike in the last 30 years.
I still cant believe there are people who think its fake..... all the millions of things the world produces, plus the factories that make the stuff, shipping, disposal, mining, batteries, its endless.... then theres bitcoin! Which creates a huge climate issue due to exponentially larger power consumption as time goes on. The heat, gases etc is unthinkable

Ive got a 4x4 🤣😆
It just might be that there are MORE humans.

How can you claim that climate change can only have happened since the industrial revolution ?
That's total brainwashing stuff.
There is NO REAL proof of that.

Climate always has changed. You can see this in core samples.
We have gone through ice ages and heat - well before the industrial revolution.
Golly, it must have been blo.dy hot when Antarctica was a rich land mass !

Yep, but that was just climate change caused by burning fossil fuels !!!

There are around 6 Billion people on the planet, each at an average weight of , say 60 Kg - of which at least half is water.
So, if the population since the industrial revolution has doubled - there are 3 billion extra people holding around an extra 30 Kg of water each.

Hmm !!! 3 billion times 30 Kg = around 90 Billion Kg of water !!!
Not a drop in the bucket !

Do you really think you have any idea of what is going on ?
You must be kidding !

Might be better to focus on what happens to the "lost" entropy - which happens with every energy conversion ( even the really "green" stuff ). Where does it go ?

Last edited:
Thanks for that Brian. Interestingly, the climate change can only really have happened since the industrial revolution and that would presumably have been fairly minor at start ( compared to the massive effect we make today ).... so presumably you'd expect to see a bigger spike in the last 30 years.
I still cant believe there are people who think its fake..... all the millions of things the world produces, plus the factories that make the stuff, shipping, disposal, mining, batteries, its endless.... then theres bitcoin! Which creates a huge climate issue due to exponentially larger power consumption as time goes on. The heat, gases etc is unthinkable

Ive got a 4x4 🤣😆
This ' Climate change' is not exclusive to the Holocene. The climate has changed many times and has always re balanced. This climate change is not unique. A bit further along the coast you will see the high chalk cliffs. These represent a massive carbon drawdown from a hot house time beyond anyone's imagination. There have always been changes and the evidence shows in the rocks we observe but always these have been the result of atmospheric carbon, volcanic gas or water cycles speeding up and slowing down as a response to positive and negative feedback. At this present time, the carbon cycle appears to be speeding up due to human population so there may be more extreme weather and there will be massive differences in water distribution because the water cycle is dragged faster too. The balance is disturbed, there is more carbon going up and it takes a good while, but for sure what goes up must, and is, coming down again. Don't worry, in a few million years when we are long extinct or have left and the cycles have calmed, this world will be Eden again with beautiful butterflies and fluffy white clouds! I suppose the only thing that may make this process longer will be nuclear catastrophe but the butterflies will only have to wait a few more million years. Eden will still return. As the Cornish say, we are all but little ants and should spend less time stressing. The Earth looks at us and laughs.

How can you claim that climate change can only have happened since the industrial revolution ?

There are around 6 Billion people on the planet, each at an average weight of , say 60 Kg - of which at least half is water.
So, if the population since the industrial revolution has doubled - there are 3 billion extra people holding around an extra 30 Kg of water each.

You must be kidding !

Might be better to focus on what happens to the "lost" entropy - which happens with every energy conversion ( even the really "green" stuff ). Where does it go ?
What about all the other lifeforms - animal and vegetables, that aren't around anymore? Shouldn't you factor them in?

What about all the other lifeforms - animal and vegetables, that aren't around anymore? Shouldn't you factor them in?
That would be to difficult.

It's far easier to believe it's not happening because of all the shiz we are making and using, but because our lizard overlords are conducting a cruel experiment on us.

I did read somewhere, a long time ago, that the tides moving over the Atlantic shelf can raise and lower the southern end of the UK. It might be measurable but I can't say I've noticed. :)
A company I worked for were doing some work on a railway tunnel in Birmingham. There were restrictions on the movement of the tunnel during the construction. Before they started construction they started taking measurements and discovered that the tunnel was moving before they started works. I think the movement was around 1mm but it was a long time ago that I was on a course with the people who took the readings. The movement appeared to be at random and they were trying to find the cause and rule out reading error. Then someone noticed that the movement matched the movement of the moon hence tides.

You must be kidding !

90 billion kg of water is 90 million m3.
A lake 10m deep, covering just less than 1km2 will hold all that water.
It is just a drop in the bucket.

I've posted it twice before, and at least one other person has also posted it here, but check out xkcd earth temperature graph. I've tried to paste the URL, but having trouble with the NHS WiFi...

The rising and sinking of various parts of the earth's crust is an ongoing process in many parts of the world.

Where I live the land is rising out of the sea an an average rate of 1 cm a year over the last 1000 years. At the moment the rise has slowed down a bit partially because our part of the earth's crust is solwly approaching eqilibrium and partly because the sea level is rising too as glaciers melt around the world. We are down to 7 or 8mm a year over the last few decades they say.
Anyway that makes around 30 cm of land rise since I started boating with my parents. And I am only 40. In this shallow and rocky archipelago that is a noticeable difference.
This picture is a wiew across Viken (the cove) in front of our house. The the right one can see the yellow kindergarten building on Alholmen (alder island). The names live on and to us it is still a cove somehow though it dried out in the 17th century. Behind the white house to the left the cove opens up towards Heimfjärden (home bay) which dried out little by little from the early 19th century until the late 1940-ies when the last creeks became dry enough to farm.
IMG_5046.JPG

In another village nearby they have a rather large shipwreck on the bottom of a small lake a couple of kilometres from the present day coast.

Elsewhere the land is sinking into the sea.
Have you ever heard of Rungholt? A mayor port and city on the German north sea coast which once rivaled Hamburg.
Now it is a mere mudbank in the sea south east of the island of Pellworm. The land kept sinking and storm surges flowed higher and higher over the land. People built dikes and mounds to protect themselves but as we all know the volume of earth one has to move to double the height of an earthen dike is at least 3 to 4 times the voulume of the original dike. Man could not keep up with nature and an unusually high storm surge which became known as the Grote Mandrenke" washed the entire city and port and the land it stood on out to sea in january 1362.
The Wadden zee and Zuider zee were once mostly dry land protected by a coastal dune which is now a chain of islands off the Dutch coast. The Vliestroom between present day islands of Terschellig and Vlieland was a river mouth where the water from lake Almere flowed into the sea.
What had been dry land first became waterlogged bogs from which dissolved peat was washed out to se by every storm. When the peat was gone it became navigable water.

Theese processes of land rising and sinking are ongoing all the time though only in part of Europe they happen fast enough to be obviously visible in a human lifetime.

One of the early bods:
"Old Red Sandstone or, New Walks in an Old Field", by Hugh Miller
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Millerhttps://www.gutenberg.org/files/63923/63923-h/63923-h.htm
"Mr. Miller is one of the few individuals in the history of Scottish science who have raised themselves above the labors of an humble profession, by the force of their genius and the excellence of their character, to a comparatively high place in the social scale."
— Brewster (1851)

See also Robert Dick, Baker of Thurso, Geologist and Botanist by Samuel Smiles

Back