Where can I get drills sharpened?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John. B

Established Member
Reaction score
I live in Romford in Essex,

Does anyone know of a drill bit sharpening service for bits up to at least 33/64 (13.1mm) that's reasonably local.

John. B

I've no idea who would provide this service, but it's quite straightforward to sharpen drillbits freehand on a bench grinder. It may take you a few attempts to get "the nack" but once you've cracked it it's dead easy. There are loads of vids on youtube to help you along.

Your other option is a drilldoctor, a dedicated drill grinder that does a good job, I have one somewhere, but never use it as I find it quicker to grind freehand.

Cheers
Aled

Aled Dafis":31noh6t9 said:
I've no idea who would provide this service, but it's quite straightforward to sharpen drillbits freehand on a bench grinder. It may take you a few attempts to get "the nack" but once you've cracked it it's dead easy. ....
Aled
It's another form of convex bevel sharpening believe it or not - you present at the cutting angle and dip. Or work it both ways like old egg head here.
Funny how it works for absolutely everything except woodworkers planes and chisels! :lol:
In fact it may take you a few attempts to get "the nack" but once you've cracked it it's dead easy.

Jacob":3vawqdfk said:
Aled Dafis":3vawqdfk said:
I've no idea who would provide this service, but it's quite straightforward to sharpen drillbits freehand on a bench grinder. It may take you a few attempts to get "the nack" but once you've cracked it it's dead easy. ....
Aled
It's another form of convex bevel sharpening believe it or not - you present at the cutting angle and dip. Or work it both ways like old egg head here.
Funny how it works for absolutely everything except woodworkers planes and chisels! :lol:
In fact it may take you a few attempts to get "the nack" but once you've cracked it it's dead easy.

Lots of negative comments on this YouTube clip?

Mick

Guy at work showed me how to do this the other day. Really is quite simple on a grinding wheel. HE showed me his drill bits, some were so short! but they all work! You can create different profiles as you see fit as well. Good fun!

I got shown 40 years ago how to sharpen twist drills...piece of cake when you get the knack. Sizes below about 3mm get a bit tricky though... - Rob

woodbloke":1bkp0shf said:
I got shown 40 years ago how to sharpen twist drills...piece of cake when you get the knack. Sizes below about 3mm get a bit tricky though... - Rob

I'd say that for beginners, anything under 5mm would be quite tricky.

The only other thing I can add is to NEVER BUY CHEAP DRILLS!! I use Hertel Drills exclusively at school and find that they need sharpening/break far less than the cheaper drills my predecessor left me with.

Cheers
Aled

Back