Where can I find hardwood sawdust?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gourmet mushrooms

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find hardwood sawdust in and around Sussex. I will be using it to grow gourmet mushrooms like shiitake and oyster mushrooms. Preferably somewhere that treats it as a waste product so it can be put to good use.

Thanks for your help.

gourmet mushrooms":wvoonida said:
Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find hardwood sawdust in and around Sussex. I will be using it to grow gourmet mushrooms like shiitake and oyster mushrooms. Preferably somewhere that treats it as a waste product so it can be put to good use.

Thanks for your help.

Are you looking for carrier bags, sacks, or skip loads of the stuff?

BugBear

Surely you can't have any hardwood? I can't imagine iroko would be very gourmet?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thank you very much Zeddedhed. I really appreciate it.

At the moment I am looking for bags or sacks but would be interested to hear about what quantities of waste sawdust people have available. If people have greater quantities of sawdust, I would be happy to hear about it.

The limiting factor is that it has to be sawdust from hardwoods, not softwoods like cedar or spruce as these contain natural antifungals. Also, as it will be used to produce food, it can't contain any treated woods or toxins. It doesn't need to be fresh, however. I will be sterilising it and aged sawdust is actually be better.

I am interested in upcycling (making useful things from waste products) through mushroom cultivation. Once the sawdust has produced mushrooms, it can be used as fertile soil so the "waste" has a further use.

Gourmet mushrooms love iroko, oak, accoya :D

If you could take some sawdust, I have lots of it! (East Grinstead, West Sussex)

I'm a few miles west of Southampton, I produce anywhere from 15-50 litres of hardwood shavings/sawdust a week.

At the moment I've a forty litre sack of Elm and Sycamore shavings/sawdust that will go to the dump unless you want it...or I find someone with an absolutely enormous hamster.

RobinBHM":p5lus43z said:
Gourmet mushrooms love iroko, oak, accoya :D

If you could take some sawdust, I have lots of it! (East Grinstead, West Sussex)

Wouldn't accoya come under "treated"

HI,

We are based in Newhaven, East Sussex and generate between 10-12 ton of sawdust per week. You are welcome to as much of it as you want. All clean, all oak.

Cheers
Jack

Thanks for all the replies.

It seems that accoya is a treated softwood so I don't think I would be able to work with any sawdust with that in it.

That's great to know Jack, thanks.

I'm in Haywards Heath so Southampton is a bit far away, sorry custard. You going to have to find that mega-hamster :)

If people also have waste woodchips as well I would like to know.

Back