Where can I buy quality woodworking tools in the UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harry4rams

Reaction score
Hi there

I have recently moved to the UK from the states and after a couple of months settling in I am ready to set up a workshop in my garage.

The question I have for you gentleman is where would you recommend I buy my tools from? I have a fairly large budget and would like to buy quality. I have heard of companies like Screwfix and B&Q but I do not think their range is extensive enough or their quality high enough. I usually purchase from Lee Valley but the cost is too great to ship to the UK.

I have had a quick look through Google today and have come up the following retailers I am considers purchasing from - Axminster, Workshop Heaven, Rutlands & Quality Woodworking Tools.

I trust you knowledgable people have experience of them all. I will be potentially spending £1000s pound on kitting out my workshop so your help would be appreciated.

I would like to know which store you recommend and why? If there are other stores then feel free to put them forward.

Many thanks in advance
Harry

richarnold":12c4uptn said:
I would recommend Classic Hand tools for all your hand tool needs.
If you are looking for high end bespoke items you could always attend our charity workshop event in a couple of weeks time ( It's not to far from Darby) macmillan-cancer-charity-openworkshop-day-t104774.html#p1141502
https://www.classichandtools.com/.

If you can make this event you will be able to talk to some of the most knowledgeable folks you ever met (as well as idiots like me). I guess it will take less than an hour to get there.
I am just south of you in Loughborough
I can guarantee a fine day out for anyone interested in woody hand tools.

Welcome to the wetness and the worst spring in years - enjoy.

We don't quite have the choice you find stateside and it depends what you're buying precisely.

Axminster - the big store for most things but not always the cheapest. Good service, quick delivery
Classic Hand Tools - does what it says on the box.
Workshop Heaven - bit like above but carries some unique lines
Woodworkers Workshop - as mentioned already. Carries quite a lot of American brands too.
Rutlands - ermm well, anyway. Suppose they have some bargains now and again
Scott and Sargeant - serious stuff

The £/$ has changed a lot of the old rules - American tools are really pricey now over here. I spend a lot of time stateside and recently find I have to really pick and choose what is cheapest where.

Welcome to the forum and to the UK.

While you're here why not buy a traditional plane direct from a traditional plane maker,
http://www.phillyplanes.co.uk

Or some chisels or carving tools direct from one of the Sheffield originals,
https://www.robert-sorby.co.uk

And with Europe on our doorsteps don't forget this retailer, they'll deliver with no import charges...at least for the next year or so!
https://www.fine-tools.com/index.html

But more important than tools is the wood itself. Don't miss the opportunity to work with some classic British timbers like Brown Oak, Tiger Oak, Bog Oak, English Walnut, Rippled Sycamore, Sweet Chestnut, Laburnum, Wych Elm, and Yew. All timbers that you'd find it difficult or impossible to source in the US.

Axminsters , axminsters and oh axminsters. They really are the ones in the UK. I loved them even more when they had catalogue. But other retailers are available. Although if you want a one stop the the chaps down Devon are kings amongst retailers.
Jb
There so good it's difficult to compete with them in a direct way with our small pool. But hammer Felder are good and hand tools can be had from smaller places. Used tools ebay shops mark up used tools Soo much.

Hi all

Thank you for your detailed responses and suggestions.

I actually had loaded my basket up with products from Rutlands (for the machinery) and Workshop Heaven (for the hand tools) as they seemed to have the products I required. Could you explain why the general consensus would be to go with Axminster over those two?

That event does look interesting maybe I will see you guys down there!

Many thanks
Harry

Not bought from Rutlands for some time but they had a pretty poor reputation for service and carrying stock. Also I think there machines are more bargain basement than quality. Axminster tend to offer value due to their buying power but have been unscrupulous with copying machine brands they stock and then ditching the brand once they have had them copied. Doesn't mean the machines they offer are bad but pretty brutal business practice. Felder/Hammer for higher end machines for sure.

harry4rams":pxe3rm75 said:
I actually had loaded my basket up with products from Rutlands (for the machinery) and Workshop Heaven (for the hand tools) as they seemed to have the products I required. Could you explain why the general consensus would be to go with Axminster over those two?
Nothing wrong with Rutlands, if they have what you want in stock. There are some on here who don't like them but plenty of others who do.
I've been buying from them for years with no problem, other than a lot of their stuff being long-term out of stock.

harry4rams":hsmacmh5 said:
I actually had loaded my basket up with products from Rutlands

The words "top quality" and "Rutlands" don't belong together in the same sentence! Seriously Harry, empty your Rutlands shopping basket and think again.

harry4rams":34zwlvyd said:
Could you explain why the general consensus would be to go with Axminster over those two?
Axminster have a sort of big-chain one-stop-shop mentality, in that they stock a lot and do have some lesser quality bits, all of which you really do pay for. They also have very good customer service and will bend over backwards to sort out any issues... but at the same time there's also a reason why they've gotten so well-practiced at providing good customer service!!
In short, they're good for getting started if you have lots of money and aren't entirely sure about everything, and don't have a forum like this to learn from... Once you do have all that, they're still good for stuff, but you'll also know what to get and what to avoid.

Workshop Heaven are great. I've ordered several things through them and always had very decent service.

Axminsters are really great for ordering, delivery,spares, guarantee. Sorting problems etc etc. It's just a pity there's not 2 company's of the same standard for the consumer.
Like i said if i needed basic workshop fodder I'd get everything from axminsters. Even used I'd look for axminsters branding.

Another vote for Workshop Heaven and Classic Hand Tools, followed by Axminster. I’ve found the customer service at both WH and CHT to be slightly better than Axminster. However, all three are good.

Axminster has the advantage of having a few bricks-and-mortar stores. Plus the Axminster Skills Centre runs some good courses.

Latest posts

Back