Where are they now?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

Been searching through these forums for info and have noticed a lot of missing people, people who have contributed on tool reviews and many other topics but now no longer, looks like either a mass exodus or some alien abduction to fulfil a need for woodworkers because to many to all have departed this world in the time span.

I think there was some sort of spat about a year ago, between admin, owner and some die hards.
I was quite amazed really as it all seemed rather minor compared to some of the brexit threads and other political threads. Some are missed but it has got rid of the very very angry ones.

Why were they so angry, sounds like there was an angry club or some competition as to who couldd be the most angry !

I think you have misunderstood, they weren't all angry, just unhappy with admin so left, just so happens the angry ones were in there as well. The angry ones were just angry at everything, always have been always will be, just unhappy with their lot I guess.

Over the years lots of folks have left for one reason or another, at least two other forums have emerged from this one in the time I’ve been contributing, both of those took it’s toll on the membership but UKW just carried on.
It’s just the way of the world, quite a few of the folks I follow on Instagram were once members here in the early days, clearly knowledgeable woodworkers judging by the tens of thousands that follow them on Instagram but clearly they wanted to move on.
Personally I’m enjoying UKW more now than at any time I can remember

Change occured, some noses were put out of joint, some left, some came back. Feels like theres been more drama about it since "it".

I've been on forums where 70% of a 100,000 community upped and left after it was discovered the owner was a sex pest. This, by comparison, is little more than a fart in a spacesuit.

The only other offshoot of this I know of is nice enough, but the old forum software and very quiet boards (even by the standards here) don;t compel me to post often. This place at finally got an upgrade to bring at least the software into the 21st century.

always a shame to lose knowledge, perhaps too much can make you angry but at least we still have people who can help solve woodworking issues and help to put the world to right.

Seems to me forums shouldn't be the place to vent your anger or argue issues just because they can't afford private psychiatric help.

In fact it would make things better if you could only post three replies on "Gen Chat" on any single thread.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the forum did lose a few knowledgeable people a while ago but it has kept going and if anything does seem a little more laid back now.

We could have an arguement about this, and get angry ................. 🤣 by page 2 we could bring in German soldiers.
I think we can all agree free speech should be limited and only apply to those who agree with me!...... And you were told not to mention the war!

I think that if people with a wealth of knowledge are willing to share it and help those further down the ladder it should make you smile and be happy, if you get angry then there must be other underlying issues and perhaps someone should come up with a place where angry people can go. I for one think it is a good place where I can learn woodworking skills and ideas, and at the same time I can share a lifetime of experience in the electrical and electronic sectors so we should all be happy.

Seems to me forums shouldn't be the place to vent your anger or argue issues just because they can't afford private psychiatric help.

In fact it would make things better if you could only post three replies on "Gen Chat" on any single thread.
What a boring forum that would be.

Hi all

Been searching through these forums for info and have noticed a lot of missing people, people who have contributed on tool reviews and many other topics but now no longer, looks like either a mass exodus or some alien abduction to fulfil a need for woodworkers because to many to all have departed this world in the time span.

It seems to have been to do with the Charlie the forum owner selling to a new owner based I believe in the USA.

Some of the key people, like Andy T moved to another parish.

I found it really strange, I'd been a member less than a year when whatever happened, happened! It was not long after the take over and the new software.
That said I've never had any issues - I enjoy it here and whilst I did find where others went and have checked it out I think it is quieter than here and I really only want to post in one place andhere has been good and does actually seem less fraught now.
I miss the knowledge of a few of the other guys but know where to find them and some are posting in both places and I think one or two may have returned.
Regardless this forum will be what we the current members make of it - I will contribute as much as I can and when I have something I think I can contribute too or help with. Let's just make this place the best it can be and maybe more of the 'good' who left will return or their will be new members who get respected in the same way.

JMHO

Padster

Latest posts

Back