• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

where are the rules

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think there was a vote. There was a discussion thread with (as far as I know) no actual outcome. People gave their opinion, nobody changed their opinion as a result of the discussion and it all went quiet.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
But how many years ago was this apparently informal decision to not allow links to useful kit that might benefit a lot of us?

It seems an arbitrary decision was made at the time

So whilst there may still be some still in the group holding the same opinions, are they the now the minority?

Personally I cannot see a problem in alerting others to something for sale

Some of us are.

pcb1962

Established Member
Reaction score
Personally I cannot see a problem in alerting others to something for sale
The problem is that if I'm bidding a rare tool on eBay that I've been looking for for years, and somebody here also finds it and posts a link I'm going to be damned annoyed at that person when suddenly I'm competing with half a dozen others in the auction.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
What can I say but thats the way the world goes round, you could bid on an item and someone you don't know from anywhere around the world could outbid you

In my opinion it would be better to let others know of an item that I might not even want

The problem is that if I'm bidding a rare tool on eBay that I've been looking for for years, and somebody here also finds it and posts a link I'm going to be damned annoyed at that person when suddenly I'm competing with half a dozen others in the auction.

TRITON

Established Member
Reaction score
Damn you all....i was watching that....thought i'd found a bargain....now everyone knows

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
Like most things, it's a two edged sword.
If an alert on here got you a chance to bid on the item you'd been looking for , for years you'd be mighty happy.
I could compromise on links to for sale items, but not auction items. How does that sound?

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
And suddenly there are endless posts saying "there is a hammer for sale on eBay". Then creep in the posts, "I am selling my hammer on eBay", "somebody is selling some tools in my village" ...

Reactions: AES

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Like most things, it's a two edged sword.
If an alert on here got you a chance to bid on the item you'd been looking for , for years you'd be mighty happy.
I could compromise on links to for sale items, but not auction items. How does that sound?
Whether already in the rules or just a blind eye turned to it by the previous mods, links to eBay items on "buy it now" were allowed.

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
Before anyone gets worked up into a frenzy, can we just take a pause on this discussion? As I stated in Post #5 of this thread, changes will be made in the next day or two.

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
Precisely, marcros.

Gents, as a general point, WHY must we go "round and round" on this point - and similar, every so often????

Yes, anyone can ALWAYS find "disadvantages" to any rule, but in general, here just like anywhere else, "the rules" are there for a purpose, have generally - here included - have been pretty well thought about and "thrashed out" by the membership - i.e. a number of people with differing viewpoints - and we've ended up where we are today.

What more is there to say, really?

Like the man said "it is what it is", AND as another man said "you can't please all the people all of the time".

So can't we PLEASE just give it a rest - as far as I can see, what we have today works pretty well most of the time. NO need for votes, no need further mainly repetitive discussion.

End of ........

pcb1962

Established Member
Reaction score
Before anyone gets worked up into a frenzy, can we just take a pause on this discussion? As I stated in Post #5 of this thread, changes will be made in the next day or two.
Will there be any consultation on those changes, or will they simply be imposed?
Sounds like a recipe for more trouble if the latter.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Will there be any consultation on those changes, or will they simply be imposed?
Sounds like a recipe for more trouble if the latter.
It isn't a democracy. It is a privately owned forum and what the boss says, goes.

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
^ What marcros said. However, the comments in other threads about the rules contributed considerably to the upcoming changes.