• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

where are the rules

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

TheUnicorn

Established Member
Reaction score
had a message saying that a posting of mine had been deleted today, as it broke a rule. That wasn't intentional and if it needed to be taken down so be it, with my apologies. I dare say I agreed to the rules when I joined the forum, but are they somewhere on the site for reference?

TheUnicorn

Established Member
Reaction score
Update, I stumbled across 'terms and rules' at the bottom of the page, but am now more confused.

My posting was a link to an advert on gumtree for a bandsaw which I'd seen and thought might be of interest to other forum users. I was told this broke rule 8.6 (I think, I can't find that communication now)

When I located the rules there were no numbers, so confusing, and also in my reading of the rules, I didn't see what I'd done to break the rules.

Happy to obey the rules, happy enough to have things removed if the break the rules, just looking for some clarity

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
If you look at my link you will see rule 8.6 refers to not posting links to auction sites.

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
had a message saying that a posting of mine had been deleted today, as it broke a rule. That wasn't intentional and if it needed to be taken down so be it, with my apologies. I dare say I agreed to the rules when I joined the forum, but are they somewhere on the site for reference?
I moved your thread to this forum. Here's the Rule 8.6:

( 8.6 ) - Auction Site Links.
Members sometimes feel that posting random links to eBay or similar sites may be of benefit to other members looking for a "bargain".
It is not in the interests of our membership to highlight items that some may already have on their watch list. Furthermore we have had instances in the past where members have spuriously drawn attention to their own listings. It is suggested that those wishing to find "bargains" do so themselves.
As I noted in my explanation to you when I removed the thread, there will be a change next week that will make this possible.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
( 8.6 ) - Auction Site Links.
Members sometimes feel that posting random links to eBay or similar sites may be of benefit to other members looking for a "bargain".
It is not in the interests of our membership to highlight items that some may already have on their watch list. Furthermore we have had instances in the past where members have spuriously drawn attention to their own listings. It is suggested that those wishing to find "bargains" do so themselves.

TheUnicorn

Established Member
Reaction score
thank you doug, that is exactly what I was looking for. I can see that I had broken 8.6, so it is only fair for that to be removed.

It seems odd that there isn't at least a link to the 'global forum rules' on the 'terms and rules' page, perhaps any moderators reading could address this?

TheUnicorn

Established Member
Reaction score
I moved your thread to this forum. Here's the Rule 8.6:

As I noted in my explanation to you when I removed the thread, there will be a change next week that will make this possible.
Mike, I have no issue with it being removed, I broke the rules, inadvertantly, you removed it, done, absolutely fine. My apologies.

My sole issue is / was how hard the rules are to find, I hope that maybe you or other forum staff can at least link the global rules onto the rules page that you link to at the bottom of the page

Thank you

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
No problem, as you had good intentions. I requested the link to the rules be added to the rules page.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
Amazing isn't it that on/in such a friendly and supportive community as this we have a rule to preclude just that friendship and support.
Had I seen the same advertisement locally I'm damn sure all my mates would have been made aware.
That's what mate's and friends do, all day every day.
Cheers Andy

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, no doubt Andy. BUT after quite lengthy and exhaustive discussion to and fro between MANY members, the overall consensus reached was that although posting news of offerings on auction sites could (repeat COULD) often be no more that "a mate tipping off his other mates", there could - and probably would - be occasions where such posts would lead to For Sale posts that "we" (please note again, a majority) would definitely NOT want.

As always with any sets of rules in life, there are some aspects which not everyone will agree with. AND there are rules which used in one way could be perfectly "innocent" and "well-meaning", but which used in another way would not

BUT if we accept that we do have to have rules to some extent, isn't it better to just accept that SOMETIMES, some rules will appear to be counterproductive in SOME instances, BUT also accept that having been discussed at length, all rules are there for the purpose of serving the majority of members in the majority of cases.

In other words, YES, in the situation you describe, you're correct. BUT in what at first sight appears to be the same situation, equally there are times when allowing such posts are NOT in either your best interests, NOR in the best interests of any other members.

Cheers from another Andy!

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
didn't the rule change this week. now amazon offers are positively encouraged because it earns affiliate revenue? is ebay and gumtree the same?

TheUnicorn

Established Member
Reaction score
glad to see the addition of the link to 'global rules' on the 'terms and rules' page has already been made

Thank you

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
didn't the rule change this week. now amazon offers are positively encouraged because it earns affiliate revenue? is ebay and gumtree the same?
No.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
What was the post earlier in the week then saying "post your eBay links here"?. I can't remember who it was from, but it must have been a mod

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Just something we're talking about. It may come in the future, but is not happening at this time.