When will this pallet furniture trend end?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This time of year pallets are very popular....:

IMG_2116.JPG

ian_in_the_midlands":3qrwodbf said:
With the toll it will take on the tools and planer blades, is it worth it?
Not a little of this kind of stuff the wood will never have its thickness changed so that's one less thing to worry about :lol: Just as well really as no matter how clean a piece of pallet wood looked I'd never send it straight through a planer. Just not worth the risk IMO.

But if you do want to work with it as normal, a quick brushing with a stiff wire brush to get any loose grit off followed by a once-over with a roughing plane or jack can get you down to bare wood in no time. Doesn't matter much if the plane takes a beating as that's its lot in life, so even if the plane iron gets the occasional nick it isn't a big deal.

IMG_2116.JPG

Nev, that will only ever go sub-orbital, no matter what the European Space Agency says, and it's a bit cheeky of them sticking a Union Flag on top and banging on about the funding loss because of Brexit...

... not that I'm biased or anything ;-)

E.

PS: That was a JOKE, not an attempt to restart an old thread. Google the Soviet N1 to see the similarities...

The pallet that my last load of logs for the stove came in had some ash slats. Planed up by hand and made a couple of nice picture frames.

Meanwhile, on topic (compared to my other post above), there is at least one forum member here who is really good at making nice things from reclaimed timber. He knows who he is and I hope he'll comment.

To those saying it has nothing to do with cost, imagine you are 25 again and want a house. In my experience (I am the oldest employee in my company), youngsters work very hard and have little time for DIY let alone the space in which to work, or a hobby workshop. This is a way to get something that is unique (-ish), handmade, and "real", compared to IKEA or Ook Woodwormland. And when it is done well...

Just my twopence.

E.

I just read this news item which confirms that the "pallet style" is still thoroughly on trend.

https://www.bristol247.com/lifestyle/tr ... use-crane/

It's about a "treehouse" in a crane in Bristol Docks. It's clear from the photos and the video that although the structure uses a lot of new materials, cladding a wall with bits of old pallets, making a bed of something similar and screwing some driftwood on the wall, all work together to say "this project is so green it's positively good for the natural world."

That's clearly greenwash nonsense, but it's a strong message and I think it's an attractive one to a lot of people.

Yep it appears to still be all the rage. This is a local bakery https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ7YISgv9r8

I got to see the build first hand and the time and effort that they put into it using reclaimed wood must have cost them a fortune in labour and never worth it IMO. On the other hand it's very popular but that may well be down to the cakes they sell being superb.

Nev I used to work for the company who owns the blue pallets in your pic. I say owns because they never sell them just hire them and for every pallet not returned by a company they get billed £12.
I used to repair them and would quite often come home with a land rover full of the new timber which was Latvian spruce. Bizarrely they used some kind of really dense hardwood for the bearers on the timber packs.

I confess, I use pallet wood to make things, am I a bad person? :).......

Mainly bits and pieces for, and repairs too, my wife's bee hives; never had a complaint from either the wife or the bees although I did get stung once. I'm not sure whether that was because of the pallet wood, the poor joinery or because it seemed like a thing a bee should do.

dean0866":kdd985pz said:
I confess, I use pallet wood to make things, am I a bad person? :).......

No, you're just resourceful.... and possibly a bit of an Ebeneezer. :-D

wallace":2ekso31h said:
Nev I used to work for the company who owns the blue pallets in your pic.
That'd be CHEP then?

Every so often, at work, I have to uncover 'as new' pallets from underneath 600Kg of bagged materials.
The timber is some dark far eastern hardwood, looks clean and in good nick and is very attractive, makes me sad to stack them for removal, but I can't keep taking them home.
I already have a couple of stacks in a tall shed just waiting for processing. I've told SWMBO it's the ultimate art installation, art for art's sake, so good it's hidden from view.

As you all say it seems to be a trend at the moment. So much so that I have just been commissioned to make a load of benches (and I mean a load) for a chain that needs to have the rough sawn pallet look but using sawn joinery grade timber. As they say it takes all sorts!

Yes Mike 'chep' horrible place to work, used to canny when it was owned by GKN but your just a disposable commodity now. They just wait until your riddled with repetitive strain injuries and then get shot of ye.

Back