When to replace a plane blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know Jacob here is often denigrated for his “odd” methods

Welcome to the forum Gerry.

I'm not sure the above is correct it's more that he tends to preach that his methods are the only "correct" way of doing it, as you say who cares as long as the edge is sharp. Jacob's methods work for him and that's great and doesn't mean he's wrong but neither does it mean we all want or need to do it that way

I'm as happy using my Pro-edge as I am my Tormek, the bench grinder and diamond and oil stones, each has it's place depending on what tools I'm using at the time. Fastest and cheapest methods aren't the only criteria unless you need to churn stuff out on a production line, for many of us it's a hobby not employment.

Welcome to the forum Gerry.

I'm not sure the above is correct it's more that he tends to preach that his methods are the only "correct" way of doing it, ......
Not fair comment really. I just say what I think. Basically I preach against the "correct" mob.
If I say to a new chisel owner "just hone it quickly at 30º it's never so easy as when brand new" I get pages and pages saying that this is nonsense, impossible, references to flattening, polishing, Rob Cosman et al.
Semi religious zeal, general guru worship, gadget salesmen, should be resisted.
......Fastest and cheapest methods aren't the only criteria unless you need to churn stuff out on a production line, for many of us it's a hobby not employment.
If you want to do it slowly and expensively that's entirely up to you, but fastest and cheapest is what a lot of people want. If nothing else it means you can spend more time/money on other bits of the project - maybe even finish it in time for Christmas!
Fastest/easiest also tends to mean the thing gets sharpened more often and does a better job
PS I should add - over the years I've picked up all sorts of useful tips from other forumites (usually of non guru status) e.g. difficult grain needs uber sharpeness and very close cap iron. The more ideas that get kicked around (and sometimes kicked out) the better.

Last edited:
Goofy, Jacob. I literally responded that I'd do something less than adjusting the entire chisel with 30, which is just slightly steeper but only a microbevel. You dismissed it as complicated and I provided proof as to why.

Lons is right, you tend not to have the bandwidth to consider why something else might be better.

Each time time I've provided a short answer, you roundly disagree. Following it up with proof only elicits more certainty from you, despite no parity in experience, which is really odd. Especially when your assertions in some cases land on "It's not allowed", which have nothing to do with the OP.

I don't understand the bickering? I know jacob uses his methods and leave him to it, I use my method, nothing to argue with, nobody's making anyone use one method of sharpening, I mostly agree with what jacob says especially regarding not using microbevels, we just have to accept there's a lot of ways to skin a cat, for me it's the end result that matters.

Goofy, Jacob. I literally responded that I'd do something less than adjusting the entire chisel with 30, which is just slightly steeper but only a microbevel. You dismissed it as complicated and I provided proof as to why.
What proof?
Yes you can hone a 25º ground chisel at a very slightly higher angle and produces a "microbevel".
You seem not to have noticed, but if you hone it at 30º this IS a slightly higher angle AND produces a micro bevel.
I didn't suggest "adjusting the entire chisel".
You could of course aim for less than 30º but this will take slightly longer, for no particular gain. You'd do 30º next time!
Hope that helps! :ROFLMAO:
PS After a lot of honing I tend to end up eventually with 30º edge but rounded bevels. Could be seen as an infinite series of "mico-bevels", which should keep micro-bevel fetishists very happy! More bevels than you could shake a stick at!

Last edited:
My prayers are answered. I thought perhaps this thread had faltered into huffy silence without reaching at least a partially satisfactory minimum goal of 100 posts - now that it's been rescued from its moribund quiet, there's hope for at least 200+ posts. Keep the claims and counter-claims going folks so that I can sit on the sidelines richly entertained by the inevitability that no-one will change their mind about anything. Slainte.

My prayers are answered. I thought perhaps this thread had faltered into huffy silence without reaching at least a partially satisfactory minimum goal of 100 posts - now that it's been rescued from its moribund quiet, there's hope for at least 200+ posts. Keep the claims and counter-claims going folks so that I can sit on the sidelines richly entertained by the inevitability that no-one will change their mind about anything. Slainte.

I think we're on the cusp of getting jacob to have a life change...

(you can change my mind if you can just alter what I observe)

......just kidding about jacob, of course.

Thank you gents for the warm welcome though I think some of that warmth is coming from the heat produced by the thread .
;)
I take Jacob’s point about “gurus” “religious zeal” and “salesmen to heart.
But, that’s always been the way of things.
In fact I think that Jacob may be a salesman of sorts, full of religious zeal himself for convex bevels and freehand sharpening (no offence and tongue firmly in cheek Jacob).

There’s no doubt that many of the folks commenting on this thread have vastly more knowledge than me but it’s worth noting that in terms of chisels and plane irons that sharp is sharp...isn’t it ?
How we arrive at that is a matter of preference and taste and how we go about doing work.
Jacob‘s “old school” approach is one of many and it may well be that it suits many of his day to day needs as a joiner..he does do nice work...I’ve seen his website 😁
But others do equally nice work by having their tools sharpened on a Wetstone or grinder or back of a bus.
Doesnt really matter folks now does it ?

I’m not keen (pun not intended) on self styled gurus or the like simply because they complicate things that should be relatively straightforward and they can put off many a prospective woodworker.
Just look how some set up for a video on sharpening where at the end of the presentation they proceed to plane nice thin shavings from an already prepared piece of timber that anyone with a butter knife could plane just as well.
Or the guru who videos himself sharpening freehand but when you look closely at his chisels and plane irons in use, they have a very distinctive hollow grind ...no names shall be mentioned but it’s absolutely true.

Most of it as all for show and promotion of their own branded gear.
Sharpening has become an industry not just in terms of stones and jigs etc but by the sheer complication of a task that has been performed for millennia without any of the gadgets and paraphernalia that the snake oil men are trying to sell.

Don’t get me wrong, sharpening can be done by any method that we choose and the result will be the same if we apply ourselves to that method be it freehand or machine.
There’s no shame in using a Jig or a Grinder or whatever if we want but we must understand the fundamentals of sharpening however we go about it.
Do we need backs of irons or chisels that we can see our face in ?
No, we just need it flat.
Is it detrimental to be able to see your face in the polished back of a plane iron ?
No, though it could be scary for some folk who haven’t left the shop for weeks on end .
Polarisation and the following of gurus and metal holy men is simply a lack of confidence in our own ability to do the job...which of course is what the guru wants.
If we distance ourselves away from methods other than the one we are presently using then we have little ground left for commenting on the methods we haven’t tried as to whether or not they are good or bad .

I’m off now and put on the tin hat which I sometimes use for honing irons...it puts a great camber on with the right technique.

Have a great afternoon gents.

PS: I joined this forum to learn, and there is certainly a wealth of talent on here to learn from.

All of the above could be me until you come to branded gear. I grind and then freehand the tip.

and sell nothing except proof. Proof doesn't sell as well as gear, apparently.

In the past two years, I managed to solve two problems - chipping in chisels and chipping on edges. Which people call tell me isn't a problem, but they're not being honest. Even our own richard here has mentioned lines on mahogany from silica.

The method I mentioned is less effort. Does it matter? Not if you don't care.

Hi D-W

I wasn’t implying at all that you were selling anything.
If you understood my post that way then I can only apologise as you were far from my mind when I wrote it.
In fact I was responding to Jacob’s point about Gurus etc.

My point is that over complication of sharpening techniques are often a tool to get you to buy something that will not make it complicated when it wasn’t complicated in the first place.
I haven’t seen anything in your post that indicate that you want to sell anything in that direction or complicate the sharpening process.

These days people sit down and invent something to solve a problem that doesn’t exist .
They then try to convince you that something is a problem so that they can tell you they’ve solved the problem.
You only have to look at the plethora of “apps” that claim to solves problem that you don’t have.

Surely all chisels will chip depending on how they’re used or abused so I’m with you on that score.

As for your question “does it matter ?” I would answer that it may matter or it may not.
Driving to the shop is less effort, but then sometimes I just choose to walk.

By the way D-W you may be able to demonstrate to someone but you can’t really offer “proof” via post on a website, but I’m sure you know that .

all the best
Gerry

In fact I think that Jacob may be a salesman of sorts, full of religious zeal himself for convex bevels and freehand sharpening ..
Convex bevels are just a by product of my lazy sharpening, no virtue in them themselves, but no disadvantage either, as long as the edge is about 30º.
It's an issue because all the basic info has always said "avoid rounding over" but no mention is made of "rounding under".
Modern sharpeners have interpreted this as avoid rounding altogether - hence their obsession with flat bevels, or having several "micro" bevels.
"Micro bevel"is strictly a modern sharpening term which you won't find in any of the literature before about 1980 - which is roughly when jigs took off in a big way.
Basically they have over-thought the topic - not helped by jigs, which are problematic in themselves.
The gurus get in on the act first by persuading people it's difficult, second by pretending to have remedies - throughout history in fact!

Last edited:
I think you’re right Jacob, though I’m not sure about not finding it in any of the literature before 1980.

Maybe the virtue is in the strength of the bevel when convex ?
When I hand sharpen/hone the convex bevel is barely visible but it’s there .
Never found it much disadvantage either compared to strictly flat ground bevel with micro bevel .

But I’m happy to let folk do what they want and if for a moment I thought one method was “better” than another then id certainly give it a go.

Just to throw another stone in the pond here is a little piece from Charles Hayward’s “The Woodworker“ magazine :

“Another point in respect of grinding is: why aim at a flat bevel? Obviously, a hollow bevel is more desirable, for it means less rubbing when sharpening the cutting edge on an oilstone Firmer and mortise chisels are vastly improved by the slight hollowness in the bevels; it is a real treat to chop out dovetails, mortises, etc with them...”

Gulp !

By the way D-W you may be able to demonstrate to someone but you can’t really offer “proof” via post on a website, but I’m sure you know that .

Gerry, if you did what I suggest, it would work for you.

I've not yet run into someone who has said otherwise,, but it's very easy to not try it and dismiss it. I ran a plane iron durability test a couple of years ago and several people dismissed the results out of hand, too. I guess it's a bridge too far to try anything for 10 minutes vs spending 20 over time dismissing it ,and that's fine.

I dismiss people who tell me that I should dimension with machines because I literally don't care about it. If someone poses something easy, I generally try it. If they pose it about something I have no interest in, then, well, it just goes in one ear and out the other. Like my wife's discussion about how many different ways I could spend a few weeks organizing the shop. She's immensely organized and I"m sure her ideas are good.

From someone who has been making period furniture for a living for 40 years and who considered it not reasonable to expect to be able to use a chisel and not have it dull by chipping (the exclamation mark at the end was there, I guess, because he thought the result was odd). In the case of a chisel, if it stops chipping, then when are you going to sharpen it? Suddenly, not only is a single sharpening session potentially faster, but there is about 1/5th of them.

I
chopped with these chisels for about 40
minutes using a mallet vigorously to
chop out pins across a 20 inch piece of
tiger maple. I have a good magnifier
and continually checked for edge
breakdown. I saw no broken chisel edges
during this period!

(I also got an email from a guy who trims seams on plastic after it comes out of a mould. I proposed a novel method to sharpen chisels and he stated that it would be faster to trim them with a chisel, but the edges never held up. I didn't expect to hear from people who weren't working wood. This guy isn't even a woodworker, but he took a text description of the method, did it and his response was that he trimmed seams with a chisel and couldn't tell of any edge damage after a day).

I stole the ideas for modified edge geometry from knife people (keeping thinner bevels above the point where failure occurs, but steeper right at the point of failure), so there's no reason to assume it's not more widely usable.

Hi D-W .

I’d certainly try anything .
But you will have to explain to me your method as I may have misunderstood.
Ive read through your posts on this thread but can‘t seem to see what your method is. Maybe I missed it .
So if you can point me to something I’ll be happy to read and try ...seriously.

There is more than one way to do things.

If you want a cheap honing guide you can use one It can be cheap or expensive, whatever floats your boat.
https://www.toolstation.com/draper-honing-guide/p31968
If you want an affordable start in sharpening take your pick. Norton India Oil Stone Sharpening Stone 204x50x25 Bench Stone Fine & Coarse IB8 | eBay

https://www.workshopheaven.com/shoun-japanese-combination-waterstone-1000-4000-grit.html
So we're up to £40? Want to refine it further? A strop with some autosol Autosol Metal Polish 75g | Halfords UK

So we're at £50! Something to grind with is helpful for maintaining, restoring old tools etc.

Bench Grinders | Workshop Machinery | Screwfix.com Take your pick. If you're a coward like me, a water bath stone, if you're a hero a high speed.

Now all in we're at £200. That £200 will cover you for decades if you're a hobbyist. With the age some pick up woodworking they'll die before they need anything else.

Sharpening is an essential skill, therefore there will always be debate. But let's be real, once you practice and find a method that allows you to finish off the tools you're done. Then move to buying wood, design and making.

As an aside I have taught a few off the street customers how to sharpen and it's nothing more than an hour or so. Once this Covid is gone, there is an open invite for a Saturday visit to our workshop for some free tuition. Just drop me a PM

Hi D-W

I wasn’t implying at all that you were selling anything.
If you understood my post that way then I can only apologise as you were far from my mind when I wrote it.
In fact I was responding to Jacob’s point about Gurus etc.

My point is that over complication of sharpening techniques are often a tool to get you to buy something that will not make it complicated when it wasn’t complicated in the first place.
I haven’t seen anything in your post that indicate that you want to sell anything in that direction or complicate the sharpening process.

These days people sit down and invent something to solve a problem that doesn’t exist .
They then try to convince you that something is a problem so that they can tell you they’ve solved the problem.
You only have to look at the plethora of “apps” that claim to solves problem that you don’t have.

Surely all chisels will chip depending on how they’re used or abused so I’m with you on that score.

As for your question “does it matter ?” I would answer that it may matter or it may not.
Driving to the shop is less effort, but then sometimes I just choose to walk.

all the best
Gerry

I think David might have an article in Popular Woodworking coming out about it.

Hi D-W .

I’d certainly try anything .
But you will have to explain to me your method as I may have misunderstood.
Ive read through your posts on this thread but can‘t seem to see what your method is. Maybe I missed it .
So if you can point me to something I’ll be happy to read and try ...seriously.

Gerry, what I suggested is grinding at 25 and putting a tiny stripe at 34.

That's a good start to getting at the method that graham posted above. I like proof and experimenting because I intend to work mostly or all by hand from here on out. I also have distaste for the folks who advocate something, show distaste toward (or deride) something else and can't prove why when the burden of proof is low. These are not hard things to try.

The OP here has chisels at 25. A tiny stripe at 34 takes almost no time and holds up better than 30 degrees with less cut resistance at the same time. "tiny stripe" in this case could be a couple of hundredths of an inch long.

When I was experimenting with the buffer method above (to find out why a buffer sharpened incannel gouge that I had cut better than one sharpened to a flat apex but didn't dent at the edge despite taking large scratches on the back from silica, I figured I should figure out where such damage would stop with a flat apex.

I didn't know if it would be 31 or 48 or whatever, but found with a large range of chisels, damage stops at the tip between 32 and 34. When damage stops, you keep going. When you finish a smaller tip of a chisel, then you tend to get the fine finish right at the edge. Before any buffer, I'd started doing this rolling a tiny tip on chisels (to mortise plane bodies, so that I could continue working without faffing).

At 30 degrees, a chisel takes a lot of damage. If it gets through the cut easier at first, it's gone in 10 strikes, so what's the point?

So, what I found is that if you get considerable damage at 34 degrees, the chisel is junk. Nothing avoids damage below 32 or so in medium hardwoods. The range is small.

It's that simple. But the easy instruction at the beginning of this is throw out anything about resetting bevels, why bother? It doesn't help. Instead, if you're a spanking new beginner, hone a tiny stripe on the chisel with a finish stone at 34 degrees, go to work. When the 34 gets hard to hone, then address the bevel. It could be a while.

Winston in the video above took the method I was talking about and ran with it, but it can be done for $3. Grind at 20 something (low) on $1 of sandpaper, put a secondary bevel on at 25 so as to make the 34 easy to continue doing and then use a very fine compound to do the last little stripe. I did it with a $1 stick of clearance buffing compound from sears (when they still existed). I didn't pay anything for the mid stone, and used scrap wood for the buffing bar. The sandpaper would need to be changed periodically (i covered what's best for grinding bevels with that already - coarse white or yellow alumina lasts the longest and stays coarse), any medium stone (more expensive is often more fine which is not more better) and then some kind of graded abrasive for the tip (nothing expensive - more expensive is not more better).

I didn't know winston was taking my suggestions and running with them (didn't even know winston), but he did.

Graham is right about PWW - there was an article in Feb 2021. Writing articles gets pay but puts the article behind a paywall, so the article was a condensation of a free article that I wrote testing chisels from a soft sorby to a japanese chisel, across flat bevel angles and then with the method shown. There was more similarity between chisels than differences, except the sorby was a bit too soft for my tastes (just sold them on ebay last week). I didn't take payment for the PWW article, but rather had the site where the original discussion occurred designated as getting the contract. Two guys who tried my method wrote the condensed article from my wider bits and their experimenting, the site owner is a professional editor (so he did the editing and shopped it around) and all of us pointed the money back toward the site.

I make nothing, but the experimenting cost me something.

I don't know if I get into this stuff without toolmaking. If I'm making tools and I can't make them at least as good as something I can buy, then I won't use them (BTDT), so finding out what makes them good is important. This sharpening stuff comes in on the periphery.

As winston and bill were experimenting, they requested that I adapt the buffer above to planes. I resisted suggesting there was nothing to gain, but was wrong. I don't always use the method to sharpen planes, but found that with a $3 home depot iron here, I could plane cocobolo totally laden with silica in it and not damage the iron, leaving a bright surface on it (which means anything with silica - mahogany, limba, cocobolo, rosewood, etc, can be planed without buying some exotic iron - with no marks on the surface.).

When I try to offer a simple suggestion - just put a 34 degree tiny stripe on the 25 degree bevel, of course it is ignored as stupid or derided. The question is two parts:
1) is the method I proposed better? Yes , of course it is. It's less effort, stops edge failure, removes more wood per chisel strike and lengthens sharpening intervals on chisels by a huge amount.
2) does it matter and is it needed? No, if you don't care, it doesn't matter. If you don't care about sharpening more often, it's not needed. But to call it confusing and rabbit hole while giving someone a method that most don't master quickly (just roll a rounded 30 degree bevel on a chisel), that's not very smart.

I'm pretty vocal about it because I make no personal gain. I just really like things that prove to be true and doable by someone, and the next person and the next person

I've gotten a lot of tools with the "sellers" method or from people who "used to do it but moved on". What's that say about it?

Thanks David for taking the time to reply at length..it’s appreciated and very helpful.
Its an interesting one alright.
I admit that I’ve never come across this particular method before but the idea of that very tiny convex bevel I don’t think is new .
There’s another well known guy who though he doesn’t use the buffing wheel to put on the tiny convex bevel nonetheless hones so that he makes the same tiny convex right on the edge of his chisel or plane blades.
I don’t know anything about his angles but I would imagine that he gets similar results if the outcome is the same convex right on the edge.

Anyway, I’m going to give your method a go as I’ve nothing to lose and I will let you know the outcome.
Like Graham said, there are a variety of ways to skin a cat ... Am I allowed to say that ?
Apologies to all Cat owners on here lest I’m reported to the Feline Police.

Not fair comment really. I just say what I think. Basically I preach against the "correct" mob.
Most of us have seen enough of your sharpening arguments to make our own minds up but I thought my comment was fair Jacob.
That's not always the way you post even if it's what you mean but I've no intention of trying to push you off your sharpening soapbox, after all it's been many months since you've had the chance to get back on it.

You'll note that I didn't say your methods don't work, they certainly aren't my preferred methods and neither are you the only one on this forum who's been woodworking for 50 or 60 years. You have a great deal of knowledge and experience, it's just a pity imo that you seem to feel the need to ram it down everyone's throat as if it's gospel.

Latest posts

Back