When things go a bit wrong

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
I do kitchen stuff for a living. It's OK most of the time. I've been working on a kitchen where most everything hasn't gone according to plan. It's taken a lot of extra time and therefore has turned what should have been a profitable job into the other kind.
Anyway, today we are just about finished, and it's all looking good at last. I'm talking to the owner and am just about to ask for the final payment. As I do this I am leaning on the worktop we have just finished installing and as I do so I can feel a dent in the leading edge. B*ll*cks. There must have been a void behind the laminate and it's simply caved in. No choice but to replace it. Wouldn't be so bad if it didn't mean having to order (and pay for) another worktop, and spend several hours cutting a male butt and scribed joint in each end, plus the sink cut out, plus the mileage etc etc. :( .
Just starting to feel a bit better about it now, but there are times when I wish I didn't have to do worktops
John

Ouch!
Sorry to hear about that one-just finished a kitchen off myself. If only I had to just the carpentry-a kitchen is always plumbing, electrics, tiling, etc....... :?
Hope the next one goes smoother!
Philly :D

If it's gonna go wrong it will be either the bathroom or kitchen they should be banned. Eat out n buy a tin bath :lol: :lol: :lol:

johnelliott":1d0ll1b3 said:
There must have been a void behind the laminate and it's simply caved in. No choice but to replace it. Wouldn't be so bad if it didn't mean having to order (and pay for) another worktop, and spend several hours cutting a male butt and scribed joint in each end, plus the sink cut out, plus the mileage etc etc. :( . John

Surely thats the reponsibility of whoever you bought your worktops from, and they are not only liable for replacing it, but for your time and mileage as well?

Adam

asleitch":2rb9keix said:
johnelliott":2rb9keix said:
There must have been a void behind the laminate and it's simply caved in. No choice but to replace it. Wouldn't be so bad if it didn't mean having to order (and pay for) another worktop, and spend several hours cutting a male butt and scribed joint in each end, plus the sink cut out, plus the mileage etc etc. :( . John

Surely thats the reponsibility of whoever you bought your worktops from, and they are not only liable for replacing it, but for your time and mileage as well?

Adam

Well, I might speak to Edens about that, but I think they will probably refer me to that part of their Standard Terms and Conditions of Sale which, briefly, say that they will replace any defective goods subject to my returning them (at my expense) :(

I've been thinking about this whole worktop thing for some time now, and today has more or less decided me to go over to solid wood worktops. More expensive to buy but several advantages after that, for instance, a problem like today's wouldn't have happened and even if there had been a small dent, I could have sanded it out. Also, no need for butt and scribed joints. Also, no need to trim ends with edging strip, just cut and sand. etc etc

John

johnelliott":394ik6l1 said:
asleitch":394ik6l1 said:
johnelliott":394ik6l1 said:
Surely thats the reponsibility of whoever you bought your worktops from, and they are not only liable for replacing it, but for your time and mileage as well? Adam
Well, I might speak to Edens about that, but I think they will probably refer me to that part of their Standard Terms and Conditions of Sale which, briefly, say that they will replace any defective goods subject to my returning them (at my expense) :(

I've been thinking about this whole worktop thing for some time now, and today has more or less decided me to go over to solid wood worktops. More expensive to buy but several advantages after that, for instance, a problem like today's wouldn't have happened and even if there had been a small dent, I could have sanded it out. Also, no need for butt and scribed joints. Also, no need to trim ends with edging strip, just cut and sand. etc etc

John

IMO they are liable for the lot, a replacement top, your mileage, and the time it takes you to repair the damage. Even if you don't sting them for the lot, I'd certainly be looking for shall we say, "best customer discount" on everything you buy for ever more?

W L Wests seem to make nice solid tops, based on my visit and tour. I reckon if I ever replace a kitchen (not something I ever plan to do!) I reckon I would make it from solid.

Adam

Hi John

You would have to say that they have the responsibility to replace the worktop free of charge and any carriage charges. Other threads on here discuss consumer rights and law and the jist is that the buck stops with the supplier, not the manufacturer

Good luck

Tony":142553oo said:
Hi John

You would have to say that they have the responsibility to replace the worktop free of charge and any carriage charges. Other threads on here discuss consumer rights and law and the jist is that the buck stops with the supplier, not the manufacturer

Good luck

And Johns supplier supplied faulty goods, and are therefore contractually liable for costs associated with the supply of goods not fit for use, and the costs associated with it. (e.g. fitting it twice). As John has rectified the fault, his customer has no claim on him, but the costs should go back up the chain. Johns supplier reimburses him for lost time and business, and they in turn, go to the national distributor/manufacturer (e.g. their own suppliers), and pass on Johns costs, and their own costs, and so on, until it reaches the top of the chain, or a level with someone with deep pockets.

Thats the theory, in reality, the stress and hassle mean it often isn't worth it.

Adam

Much as I agree with Adam I suspect the suppliers small print will limit any liability and especially subsequent loss. John may also have to consider if any possible upset with his suppliers will damage future trading relations. Think it'll be a case of the supplier replacing the worktop and John moving on the next job, which I hope will be hassle free and profitable.

Rgds

Noel

Europe to win at Oakhill.

johnelliott":311zgyo8 said:

John

Recommend granite worktops :)

And from your perspective, probably easier - the granite people come in with thin hardboard, take a template, go away again, come back a couple weeks later with the granite cut to size, with the holes for sink/hob/whatever already in. Think the ones who did my kitchen also fitted the top

I seem to remember a court case regarding a couple who sent off a film to be processed. Never got it back or it was damaged by processor but the efilm was of particular importance to the couple, a wedding I believe. The processors relied on a clause in their contract saying they would not pay for any consequential losses but eventually had to pay but only after a long legal battle. I suspect in this case the loss on refitting the worktop would not justify the trouble of a court case.

Back