When I get stuck, I.......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
Have a good tidy up. I mostly do production stuff now so I don't get stuck very often, but when I was trying to figure out the best way to do something I often found that getting the brush and the vacuum out, and having a good clean up, was the way to free up my creative thinking processes. Even if it didn't, at least I got a tidy workshop out of it.

What works for you guys?

John

...usually getting stuck happens late on in the day. What works for me more than anything is just leaving it all til the next morning.
It's amazing how something that's taking forever at the end of the day gets finished up in half an hour the next morning.

Coming at problems after they've been ratlling around my head for a while seems to help too. It's useful to get a bit of perspective on things sometimes.

Of course - mustn't forget coming onto this forum and posting a question :D :D

A

Tidying all the tools and bits away and possibly rearraging the workshop layout for the 100th time. Mindless exercise that allows the creative juices to flow. Failing that, sleep on it.

I'm with johnelliot the tidy up routine works for me. I tend to make one offs so the stuck moments seem to arrive quite quickly.

Bean

Sleep on it? When I'm in the middle of even planning a project I can't sleep as I end up thinking through all the joints and cutting lists, etc... And when I get reminded that I have a family in the big area attached to the side of my garage (apparently it's called a house) and that I ought to come and see them after brushing all the sawdust off my clothes first, leaving things part finished, I don't have a hope of getting any sleep whatsoever!

Very Large Mugs of Tea can also work, and are even better if accompanied with a few bickkies.

Bean

Back