When I am in charge!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's nothing like the subject of cycling to kick things off. Whenever there's a report in my local paper's website that has anything to do with roads, accidents or driving standards the comments section rapidly turns into cycling armageddon.

I'm saying nothing :mrgreen:

The Tour of Pembrokeshire cycling during silage season on single-track lanes, recipe for disaster... #-o

Haven't seen anyone squashed by a 15 tonne trailer yet but it's only a matter of time really, something seems to happen to them every time as someone was clipped this year by a tractor I think and someone was winged by a rake tine last year.

To return to the spirit of the thread, people who call railway stations 'train stations' will be put against the nearest wall and shot. If by some mischance they survive this, they will then be imprisoned for life, without the benefit of any luxuries like food or water.

That'll learn 'em.

"Stations"????

Work stations. Sanding stations. Drilling stations. Feckin Yanks and their neologisms that are not actually, just mangled prose, used gratuitously to falsely enhance the apparent worthiness of what the 'author' has concocted...

Bovine scatology, pure and simple.

Sam

thetyreman":2ukf3ucs said:
https://twitter.com/itvwestcountry/status/1023956564741378048?s=19
In the interests of balance, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rmTHk3sxSUA

Note that I have never driven into a cyclist, but on two occasions, both times when stationary, I have been hit by a cyclist doing silly person cyclist overtaking. Two experiences does not make a statistic, however, so I am sure that you are right that motorists do more damage to cyclists, than cyclists do to motorists, or their vehicles. I do wonder how many cyclist-caused collisions are not reported, because a) cyclists don't tend to do too much damage, and b) don't have insurance.

I must admit I'm being forced to reflect on my use of language in light of the high standards I'm seeing from contributers to this thread. I do not think I pass linguistic muster (did I use that correctly?)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Oh wow I almost posted on cycling earlier, gosh dodged a bullet.

Up against the wall; the five day working week. Four is plenty and to be honest three would be about right.

F.

Fixed penalty notice for the following:

Blokes that have a bunch of keys tied to their waistband
Blokes that have keys on a chain
Blokes that walk around with their phone in the the palm of their hand waiting for that most important call that never arrives
Blokes that carry their phone in a pouch on their belt
Middle aged blokes with a beer belly trying to look cool in skinny jeans, or worse, skinny denim shorts
Personalised number plates
As mentioned, fog lights on with totally clear visibilty
Long text conversations (just ring)
Lidl checkout speed
Ronnie Pickering types
Stopping on the road to make/take a call, mostly women in my experience
Folk not waving/expressing thanks when you stop and let them out
People chucking rubbish out of their car, especially in the country

I'm sure there are more.....

Noel":1wclxms7 said:

Always the surest sign of vanity/ self-importance

I have seen both a “MR F4B “ and a “GIG0LO” round my way. Both estate agents I would guess.

Noel":9905vfwi said:
Fixed penalty notice for the following:

Blokes that have a bunch of keys tied to their waistband
Blokes that have keys on a chain
Blokes that walk around with their phone in the the palm of their hand waiting for that most important call that never arrives
Blokes that carry their phone in a pouch on their belt
Middle aged blokes with a beer belly trying to look cool in skinny jeans, or worse, skinny denim shorts
As mentioned, fog lights on with totally clear visibilty
Long text conversations (just ring)
Lidl checkout speed
Ronnie Pickering types
Stopping on the road to make/take a call, mostly women in my experience
Folk not waving/expressing thanks when you stop and let them out
People chucking rubbish out of their car, especially in the country

I'm sure there are more.....

Who's Ronnie Pickering?

Garno":3r6cxnf9 said:
Cyclists riding 2 or more abreast.

Male cyclists standing up on the bikes to get more leg power whilst wearing tight lycra.

Cyclists wearing head cams who look for conflicts with car users.

All to get Jailed.

Don't get me going on about cyclists :x :x :x

Highway Code states cyclists should not ride more than two abreast. Clearly you’ve never read it.

Marineboy":v35xvqv8 said:
Garno":v35xvqv8 said:
Cyclists riding 2 or more abreast.

Male cyclists standing up on the bikes to get more leg power whilst wearing tight lycra.

Cyclists wearing head cams who look for conflicts with car users.

All to get Jailed.

Don't get me going on about cyclists :x :x :x

Highway Code states cyclists should not ride more than two abreast. Clearly you’ve never read it.

Except on a busy road where single file should be observed if I recall correctly.
Wish I'd never bothered trying to join in a light hearted thread, had I of known that some people take light hearted posts so serious I would not of bothered.

Well at least when my memory starts to go I might still have a chance of locating my car in a car park because the number is easy to remember. :wink: :lol: Where the car park is might be a little more difficult however. :(

Oh and I'd continue to encourage the use of bicycles fine those riding on footpaths ( except young children ) adults can get off the bike and walk and I'd make 3rd party insurance cover compulsory on all riders who use them on roads, hopefully at an affordable price.

Lons":3mtxjkui said:
Well at least when my memory starts to go I might still have a chance of locating my car in a car park because the number is easy to remember. :wink: :lol: Where the car park is might be a little more difficult however. :(

Oh and I'd continue to encourage the use of bicycles fine those riding on footpaths ( except young children ) adults can get off the bike and walk and I'd make 3rd party insurance cover compulsory on all riders who use them on roads, hopefully at an affordable price.

Personally I would like them all to pass a test and get a licence before being allowed on the road, but I'm too scared to mention it on here …. burning effigies and all that. :(

I may as well annoy cyclists more :lol:
I live on the london to Cambridge cycle route, very popular cycle route, near me is a set of traffic lights on the A120 where you can wait for up to about 8 minutes. I've lived here for 4 years and in that time I may have seen 3 or 4 cyclists wait for a green light, the rest just negotiate the traffic on red, filtering in, crossing in gaps etc. My estimate would be under 1% obey the rules of the road.

The problem with anti-cyclist attitudes like some of the ones being expressed here is that they help develop/ reinforce bad attitudes among drivers of cars etc. That can then be reflected in their attitude to cyclists when on the road, with potentially lethal consequences.
I ride my bike most days and stick strictly to the rules, and I reckon every other day a driver/ someone getting out their car does something that endangers me significantly.
Joking or not, it's no joke when a car hits a cyclist.

Yeh but I'm saying I'm in a queue of traffic twice a day and see cyclists go through a red light everytime ........ that's not anti cyclist but it reinforces to me, day in day out, that at that set of lights cyclists chose not to obey the rules, won't make me try and knock one off his bike.

Back