When Computer systems crash - or rather just before they do

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have downloaded and burnt an image of Knoppix on CD.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

This is an absolutely amazing tour-de-force which puts the Linux operating system plus all the software you might need in an emergency situation plus a bunch more (think MS Office, media player, games etc Photoshop etc) on a single CD that when booted recognises your system (modems, routers etc plus USB disks and whatnot) and runs without a hitch.

If your windows installation has crashed and burnt you can still access your disk, data, internet, email etc.

The author of Knoppix deserves knighthood at least - probably sainthood actually.

Chris
Sounds good-have you had to use it?
Philly (who has had two PC's go kupput this week following power surge.... :evil: )

Philly,

Yes, I have used it and recovered my data including a disk image I had on partition on an inaccessible hard disk. I then used that on the reformatted disk to restore my windows system. I could access the data directly but wanted all my programs etc back.

It is worth playing with just on its own account to see a really beautiful piece of work - a bit like a LN in software. There is certainly not the full range of software I use in windows but all the generic stuff like office programs, media player, image processors etc is there plus access to thousands of FREE Linux programs that do most of what one needs.

I would not use Linux on a regular basis because I am not familiar with it and at first a couple of things seem awkward (although not that bad) and it doesn't have my genealogy program nor my 3D CAD program etc.

For the rest, the FREE office software knocks socks off a lot of windows stuff. The calendar/PIM/contact manager etc are just brilliant. The combined file manager/web browser is what MS Explorer should have been.

If you are on broadband, download without delay (700meg) - if not send for one of the $5 disks. Even if you just keep it in drawer for security it's useful.

Back