What's your Router Plane Style

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you were looking to buy a new made handheld router plane, which would you most likely buy?

• A reproduction of a Preston type router plane

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • A reproduction of a Stanley/Record type router plane

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • A new design in the style ethos of Bridge City

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Something else, please post what below

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have a number of the Stanley 71 models, and the newer Veritas; and use both quite a lot. One of the Stanley's is attached to a wooden base (a bit like Dr W's poly base above). As noted by others; I like the Preston shape, but not the prices they go for! If I were ever to make one it'd be in the 1399P style.

I don't know what any of those styles are, but I don't have a router plane, just a router. I have one half built though... (a lot of things I have are half built!). The style was linked a few posts up.

I recently bought a Lie Nielsen closed.
With hindsight, i possibly should have went for the Veritas, due to the number and cost of different sized blades. LN asks about 40 quid, which i think a bit on the pricey side, though like the rest of LN, will be god quality.
I've also a Stanley No271 with a couple of blades

My router plane was inherited from my great grandfather, and doesn't fit any of the above styles listed.

Effectively it's two blocks of wood carved to be easy to grip which screw together (with woodscrews) clamping the blade in place. The blade itself is little more than a broken off chisel blade which has been tidied up and sharpened to suit the angle it's held at.

There's a shallow recess carved into the front face to give you some visibility of what the blade is doing, but no holes etc.

I'm presuming it's mostly due to being used to it, but I can't imagine using any other style of router plane now, although would definitely consider a metal version (just because the use of woodscrews is a weak point which I've seen cause other old tools to fail).
When tools were scarce after the war, Charles Hayward had some articles on how to make tools that did the job. Among these was a router similar to yours meant to take a chisel.

I applaud what you are doing as they are like hens teeth to get.
I love the Stanley 71 1/2, used it at school years ago. Its the 71 without the hole. Could not afford it at the time so got a 271.
I'd recommend something quite simple as the price of Veretas and second hand is ridiculous. I made two home made copies of the 71, one by adapting my old 271 by using the second hole for the threaded adjuster (M6 bolt with a knurled nut) and screwing the small 271 plate onto a large oak base, 3" by 9" . see photo.
The other was made by my son with the idea of making them available at a reasonable price. I'll dig some photos out when I'm off next week. It was using web based parts, a coupling shaft with a V grove cut in it, 8mm end screwed to the base, with the adjuster m6 out the other end and a big ugly shaft collar clamping the bit in place. I do agree with Dr W about having a softer base as the metal can dig in, in my case wood, may give polycarb a try out as visibility is important. I don't think you need the 71s open front, but do need to enable good visibility of the cutter and shaped to allow shavings to come out and not foul the front of the work piece. Good luck you would do us a great service. Here is a photo of the 271 (minus the oak base! removed it to get into a tight spot, it just screws down onto a wider base with beafier knobs).

Attachments

• modified Stanley 271.jpg
    modified Stanley 271.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 6
We use two old Stanley 71s with students. Most have never come across such a tool before but within a few minutes of using one, almost all love the control it gives them. (All beginners).
We have seen a huge growth in interest of hand tool woodworking over the past year and I suspect that there will be a matching demand for tools moving forward.
During lockdown we have had a lot of interest in beginners' courses; we'd definitely be interested in buying a couple more but as others have mentioned there isn't much out there at the moment.
Good luck with your project; I'd really love to see it get off the ground.

Latest posts

Back