Whats your favourite penknife or multi tool .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry a Victorinox Hiker on my keyring, get used nearly every day but I use a Smith & Wesson rescue on my jobs as it's very strong.

I do have others which don't get as much use as they should, I've got an A Wright & Sons pocket knife, a clip top one that's very good, a couple little Whitby ones that get a little use, the little camo one I used to use at work for cutting tape and such, surprisingly sharp for £13😆.

A couple sheaf knives that get used around the house. I'm sure there were some more I had but for the life of me I can't remember what they were. They're upstairs in a box safe.

I've never used a Gerber multitool, they've always looked too clumsy for my liking, too bulky.

I currently have a Leatherman Charge and have had it for as long as I can remember and it goes everywhere I go on my belt along with a torch. I used to also have a SpydeRench which was a damn useful tool as it had an adjustable spanner on it. That unfortunately went walkies at some point as some one obviously thought it was a pretty neat tool to have too.

Wow you got a PITS Mk1. That is a very rare blade. I followed Mike going through the design and refinement process on BBF. I think the first ‘production’ run was the MK3 so you have something built as a one or two off. What blade material did you get? The blade material was one of the changes on the MK3 I think. The PITS has got to be one of the cleverest folders I’ve seen.
I must stress it's the Spyderco PITS Mk1, not the Read one! I did get it from him though - he had them up for pre-order on BBF when they were first produced. It's an astonishing bit of design, I agree. There's nothing else quite like it.

I did have a midsize Leatherman which I tried using to cut wire among other things. If it didn't quite do it and the wire got wedged between the blades you couldn't use the handles to lever the jaws apart because that just closed the tool. Annoying. I since have used this Gerber which has a sliding jaw mechanism. You can almost flick them out one handed, they lock out so you press the centre button on each side to retract the pliers. This means I can use the handles to lever open the jaws if I need to.
I do have a Wave in the car glovebox with the little sleeves of add on tools as a kind of get unstuck do everything tool, but I like the (lighter) Gerber better on my belt.

20220103_112436.jpg20220103_112418.jpg

Back