What's your favourite home made tool/gadget?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tomthumbtom8":17ccprhv said:
well here is the Photo's of my home made CNC made with my son over last summer holiday's and finished at Christmas

7445871148_c8449ffd2e.jpg

7445874544_16f56456ec.jpg

7445874176_72fbd76cdc.jpg

I have cut ali plywood and corian on it to date

also some relief carving (sold ) My 4th Axis is almost finished and I plan to cut twist's with it
Tom,
Thats some piece of kit there!
Chris.

cutting foot print is 800x950. spindle cutter is 2.2k and water cooled (really quiet)

Tom

Thank you for all the kind comments

I don't under stand the above post no text do you think he hit the submit button to early

Tom

tomthumbtom8":gg7kud6d said:
Thank you for all the kind comments

I don't under stand the above post no text do you think he hit the submit button to early

Tom
Sorry Tom,
Trying to update on my phone! awesome piece of kit there, I'm sure it will get lots of use.
Chris.
woodyturner":gg7kud6d said:
Maybe he had a senior moment LOL
I hope not at 36!!! :shock:

I make lots of my own tools but the most recent is this one...

I've been abusing a C-jaws MT2 morse-taper carrier in my 2" O'Donnel jaws for ages and decided it was time to do a proper job.

So I recently bought a new C-jaw MT2 carrier from APTC and filed down the outside edge with the lathe running to fit the dovetail of the 2" O'Donnel jaws and it works a treat. To get the carrier to run true I chucked the parallel end of a MT2 blank-end arbor in engineering jaws, jammed on the carrier and brought up the tailstock in the other end while filing.

Jon

chipmunk":1ok64xdz said:
I make lots of my own tools but the most recent is this one...

I've been abusing a C-jaws MT2 morse-taper carrier in my 2" O'Donnel jaws for ages and decided it was time to do a proper job.

So I recently bought a new C-jaw MT2 carrier from APTC and filed down the outside edge with the lathe running to fit the dovetail of the 2" O'Donnel jaws and it works a treat. To get the carrier to run true I chucked the parallel end of a MT2 blank-end arbor in engineering jaws, jammed on the carrier and brought up the tailstock in the other end while filing.

Jon
Jon,
I like the sound of that, I have the C jaws in one of my chucks, think I'll look into the carrier.
Regards Chris.

I'm a novice turner and am interested in making tools from other things... the screwdriver as fine parting tool sounds good. And I have a tired old file that surely has potential with enough re-shaping.
But at the moment my favourite gadget is called Jumps. If I have a blunt gouge, the fix is a call away.

condeesteso":1j8up1oe said:
I'm a novice turner and am interested in making tools from other things... the screwdriver as fine parting tool sounds good. And I have a tired old file that surely has potential with enough re-shaping.
But at the moment my favourite gadget is called Jumps. If I have a blunt gouge, the fix is a call away.
Douglas,
Be careful that the tool you are re shaping is made of a good quality material, old files are used by many but can be very brittle and have fractures that will make it dangerous to use as a turning tool, I used Jumps a lot until I mastered Grinds! :D
Regards Chris.

Hi Douglas,
Chris is right about files and IMHO screwdrivers are not worth spending time on either.

I make most of my tools from HSS toolbits. They are cheap enough although they will need extending for anything but small tools because they are usually only 4" long...

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/High-Speed-Steel-Toolbits

To extend them I drill a hole of the right diameter in the end of a length of steel bolt (unthreaded portion) about 3 diameters deep and araldite the toolbit into that. I then mount the bolt section into the handle leaving just the 3+" of toolbit exposed. Alternatively use a set-screw to hold a short section of toolbit in the end of a rod.

The 1/8" x 5/8" x 4" rectangular toolbits are great for Sorby-style cutters/scraper tips - You should be able to get about 4 for £5 (Dremel cut-off wheel and 5mm holes drilled with TCT tile drill).

Axminster also sell square section Cobalt HSS ones...
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hss-tool-steel-prod23446/

Alternatively buy unhandled tools from Crown or Ashley Isles and reshape them to suit your needs.

Ashley Isles also sell HSS blanks on their trade stands if you can get along to any (http://www.ashleyiles.co.uk/woodworking_shows.html).

HTH
Jon

Captive ring tools/ex screwdrivers [+ parting/multi-purpose tool]

DSCF0266k.jpg

Easy & cheap to make.

I wouldn't use a file though, too brittle.

Attachments

• DSCF0266k.jpg
    DSCF0266k.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 822
Hi, as already mentioned by some members I have also made a thin parting tool from a machine hacksaw blade, the grips are Thuya burl.
DSC_4477-800-a.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_4477-800-a.jpg
    DSC_4477-800-a.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 647
A couple of box/mushroom scrapers fashioned out of old chisel blades with homemade handles. The old 1940's steel is quite good and takes a good edge. I have several more old blades to convert in this manner when I get the time :)

DSC_4491-web-a.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Attachments

• DSC_4491-web-a.jpg
    DSC_4491-web-a.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 644
Back