What's your favourite home made tool/gadget?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot that I also made a chatter tool, from a jig-saw blade and a decorating tool like the decorating elf, I don't use them much, that's why I forgot about making them, but they work well.

Regards

The one I would save if the shed caught fire is my ball turning jig. No, on second thoughts it's too heavy and would probably survive anyway!

Finial":g3iym8hw said:
The one I would save if the shed caught fire is my ball turning jig. No, on second thoughts it's too heavy and would probably survive anyway!

Is it one of those from ebay or did you actually make it?

Regards

I made it - it's on my web site. But it incorporates a bit of scrap, making the whole thing would be harder.

Finial":3q1w9r6o said:
I made it - it's on my web site. But it incorporates a bit of scrap, making the whole thing would be harder.

That would be well worth saving. It really does look like it's well made, is that a union graduate shortbed it is on?

Of course it is, I have just started reading it and you mention it there. #-o

Regards

12345Peter":31anu4ey said:
Chrisp":31anu4ey said:
Looks good Peter.

I have enough blade left to make another one, but to be honest this one works so well I don't see the point in making another until it's needed. I am going to make a shaft to take the round cutter next, I have everything except the time to complete it at the moment.

regards
I can understand the lack of time Peter, we have a 14 day old new addition!
Chris.

Chrispy":1zqe7oz6 said:

This is my home made air powered veneer press, I made it about 20 years age and its still going strong.
Currently pressing some curved panels.
Chris, that is a beast! no wonder it's still going strong, build it right the first time....
Chris.

Can I have a second go? Finial reminded me that I made a ball turning jig a few months ago, not as fancy or robust, made of ply but incorporating a clamp to hold a gouge etc. as required. It works.

Finial":2asxsarl said:
Terry,
Nice work, like the site.
Regards Chris.

monkeybiter":1lsiyh8a said:
Can I have a second go? Finial reminded me that I made a ball turning jig a few months ago, not as fancy or robust, made of ply but incorporating a clamp to hold a gouge etc. as required. It works.
Mike,
Of course you can! :D these home made tools don't need to be pretty but do a job and more importantly only cost a fraction of available ones.
Chris.

Second go? Well in that case...

The most useful things I make are the least exciting. They are also the ugliest (and they face some stiff competition).

Chests of drawers.

They are easily made to fit all the odd gaps in the workshop, keep everything tidy and retrievable, so your time is more productive. I've put details on my site.

Simple Chucking Socket & Spigot Marking Gauges
Never measured a mounting socket or spigot since 2007 and many a bead or guide ring location.
smDSC02161.JPG

My most useful home made item so far has to be my grinding jig for my turning chisels, it was quick to make and gets good results on my roughing, spindle and bowl gouges!

I would say a close second goes to my home made push sticks and then third place to my wooden square (although it isn't 100% square, but close enough)

Back