What's your £20 to £30 must have tool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simocco

Established Member
Reaction score
i seen axi doing the digital bevel gauge fo £20 are they any good? what are you thoughts or other suggestions

I still tend to use sliding bevel and protractor when setting or determining working angles, but can't see any reason not to invest in a digital angle gauge, although they're jiggered if the battery/electronics fail.

------------

I have had a digi caliper from the time they were £100 and wouldn't be without it. I aslo find the digi bevel box really useful.

A lot depends on how you work. I like hand tools and find the French made TC edged cabinet scraper burnisher fro Workship Heaven absolutely brilliant.

Jim

AndyT":3tdhqqza said:
A pair of holdfasts from Richard!

I think I'll have to second this, I can't imagine working without them.

Agee with phill p lots of pencils them little pippers always vanish

If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic

Cheshirechappie":37vzd5j1 said:
A kettle, a mug, a teaspoon and a never-ending supply of teabags.
...and lots of stuffed up jobs to burn to get the water hot :twisted:

Cheers, Vann.

Hey simocco

I would say my must have tool in that bracket would be my Japanese Ice Bear Universal Kataba Saw that I keep in my toolbox at college. I've used it from everything from fine dovetails to cross cutting rough sawn boards to put in the back of my car. I've had it since 2009 and it only needs a new blade now after a good pasting!

Seán

Cheshirechappie":2w8osgvs said:
A kettle, a mug, a teaspoon and a never-ending supply of teabags.

Ditto, but scrub round the tea bags, and sub a small teapot and a never ending supply of leaf tea.
Ordinary variety will do! Earl-Grey at a push.
:wink:

The best £2-£3 tool? Sketch Up, it's free!

The best £20-£30 tool? Dial caliper, precision isn't just for engineers.

The best £200-£300 tool? Lie-Nielsen 05 1/2, almost all your planing needs sorted.

The best £2,000-£3,000 tool? A stand of six fine oak trees, felled and (quarter) sawn to your own specifications. Okay, not a tool, but where would we be without wood?

The best £20,000-£30,000 tool? A Felder CF741 with dust extraction and all the trimmings, turn your rough sawn oak into many Arts & Crafts masterpieces!

Custard,

Two things puzzle me:

1. The occasional new battery aside, why would anyone want a dial caliper for £20 - 30, when they could get a digital caliper which is far easier to read?

2. Why spend up to £30k on a combi machine with all the compromises and inconveniences that entails when decent quality separates could be had for that money or excellent quality if bought used?

Jim

yetloh":212xfm8c said:
Custard,

Two things puzzle me:

1. The occasional new battery aside, why would anyone want a dial caliper for £20 - 30, when they could get a digital caliper which is far easier to read?

2. Why spend up to £30k on a combi machine with all the compromises and inconveniences that entails when decent quality separates could be had for that money or excellent quality if bought used?

Jim

Well, everybody has their own way of doing things, of course, but -

1) Dial calipers don't need batteries, and don't throw wobblies in cold weather.

2) Combination machines need less space. For the sole trader trying to keep his rent and other business overheads to a minimum, that might matter.

Cheshirechappie":2tmhoetu said:
1) Dial calipers don't need batteries, and don't throw wobblies in cold weather.

But they are dam difficult to read without your glasses on :roll: :wink:

Pete

Back