Whats wrong with this wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VENNY

Reaction score
Hi All
I've just joined the forum as I will be restoring furniture for my new house and plan for everything inside and out to be restored, refurbished or made by myself. I have seen this sideboard that needs a little work but the wood has strange lines parallel to the grain, I've not seen that before. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks for any help.
s-l1600-1.jpg

I was thinking bandsaw but then thought figured grain, but I don't know what figured grain is. Just felt odd on a sideboard that someone would have bought from a shop.

Ahh Mark, I get your original response now :D Figuring your recon? I got that suggestion from google, I just don't know if I should part money for a cabinet that needs repairing that has that on it or if I'm best looking elsewhere🤷‍♂️

There is a light on the wood to show it up more. Would it be agreed that this is a normal thing in wood rather than a production fault or decay?

There is a light on the wood to show it up more. Would it be agreed that this is a normal thing in wood rather than a production fault or decay?
Curl / ripple is unusual, but definitely not a production fault etc.... just makes a board more expensive! The person who built it will have deliberately put it front and centre - they took enough care to make the two drop downs out of one board so the grain is continuous. Looks great!

Thanks everyone. I may just see if I can pick the cabinet up and fix it up. It should be a simple repair and an easy job for a beginner.

Hi Inspector, that's interesting as I was told it was Teak.

I wasn't trying to say it is Maple only illustrating the many names of similar figure in a wood. To me that is the wrong colour for teak but that isn't to say the picture on my screen isn't off. The figure doesn't look like any Teak I have ever seen but that isn't to say it isn't.

Pete

I wasn't trying to say it is Maple only illustrating the many names of similar figure in a wood. To me that is the wrong colour for teak but that isn't to say the picture on my screen isn't off. The figure doesn't look like any Teak I have ever seen but that isn't to say it isn't.

Pete
Thanks Pete I’m new to all this, I wasn’t arguing I only meant that the seller said it was teak. I’m not over concerned about what wood it is to be honest. I was more concerned that there was an issue with the wood. But you and everyone else has settled my mind that it’s a natural, if not desirable grain of the wood.

In the larger board above the glued joint line you have lightly cross-grained ripple figure. Below the joint line you seem to have some brown coloured streaks running parallel with the grain: the brown staining cause is possibly incipient beefsteak fungal infection. I'm almost certain the wood species is ash, and if that's the case the brown staining just described was extensive rather than minor the piece would be called olive ash. If the wood is ash it could be either one of the American or European species. Slainte.

Last edited:
I like to see some figuring like that and it is not a flaw but an added extra, agree with Richard on Ash (y)
Ahh Mark, I get your original response now :D Figuring your recon? I got that suggestion from google, I just don't know if I should part money for a cabinet that needs repairing that has that on it or if I'm best looking elsewhere🤷‍♂️

Back