What's this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I've determined that they definitely don't belong to this machine, there's nowhere they could fit and no function they could perform! I did find all the parts for the guard though so I didn't have to make one, it's very simple but effective.

BTW the extensions on the Coronet are very similar to mine.

That's a shame. A small thicknesser is useful for the bits that are too small to pass safely through a big machine. Not that I use my Coronet at the moment, It's stripped down during the reorganisation process. So any jobs I might have for it, are done by hand! That's why the reorganisation is taking for ever. :D

Well, you CAN use the thicknessing plate on Coronet and similar planers, but from experience, they are a real pain in the proverbial. Even with lots of wax on the tables, mine still used to take an awful lot of force to get stuff under the thicknessing plate however it was adjusted. But slightly better than hand planing :)

You have a point Dick.

But within its limitations, my Coronet has been giving me sterling service since 1971.

In the beginning it led me to design projects 'for the machine', but I realised that was the equipment dictating. Thus I learned the limitations, and tried to use it rather than the other way around!

Right I am away to get some floorboard, for an experiment!

Cheers. :D

Benchwayze":hg2sodnn said:
That's a shame. A small thicknesser is useful for the bits that are too small to pass safely through a big machine.

I have no problem planing very small sections, down to 3mm or less, using my DeWalt thicknesser, I just attach the piece to be planed to a piece of scrap MDF using double-sided tape. The trick with delicate pieces is to attach it only along the front edge otherwise it can buckle and break.

As promised some photos of the finished machine, not as fancy as some of the full on restorations I've seen on here, but all I really wanted was to get it cleaned up and working, sometime I may give it a fresh coat of paint but it'll do for now.

In total it's cost me less than £90 including the new motor, pulley, switch, belt, and the cost of the machine itself which was almost the cheapest part!

4-C4A5034A-913010-480.jpg

4-30057CB2-960594-480.jpg

4-582AEA13-876971-480.jpg

4-81D54B9B-850236-480-1.jpg

LL,
I see your point.
I could do the same with my Sedgwick, but pieces less than about 36" are difficult to feed in. (The pawls on the power feed grab the workpiece and slam it up into the underside of the table) Plus the action of the thicknesser is likely to spit the piece out the other end, at a rate of knots. Despite being hot-glued to a support piece.

Also planing over the top with short pieces, trying to pass them safely under the guard is very hairy. :shock: .
So I either use a small planer or hand plane!
Just me I guess.

That's a very nice planer you finally rescued though. Full marks :D

Thanks John, I've been using it quite a bit this week and it does work really well, my only slight criticism is that the fence could do with being longer on the outfeed side, the piece tends to wander a bit once it's past the mid-point.

Latest posts

Back