What's This?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
I was clearing out a box of Festool MFT (Multi Function Table) bits and pieces, so assorted dogs etc, when I came across a jiffy bag containing these,

MFT-What's-This-01.jpg

I'm pretty sure that they have some MFT application, but what?

In the same envelope were four locking knobs that could allow these mystery items to be attached to the edge of an MFT table like this,

MFT-What's-This-02.jpg

I thought maybe it's to support a guide rail at a specific height for cross cuts, but that seems an overly complex solution when a couple of off-cuts does the job just as well. Any other ideas?

On the central spars there is another little hex nut, I wonder if the two frames were linked with something going between them in those large rounded ended holes so that the two frames worked in tandem. Just to say I am probably talking out of my bum as I don’t know one end of an MFT from the other. Ian

Looks like the dogs are meant to go through the large slot and the other bits can slot into a track flat on the surface. Locked angle cut set up?

The 4 locking knobs I guess could be part of whatever it is, but they are not festool. I also didn't get anything like it with my mft 3

Have they got Festool printed or stamped on them Custard? They aren’t any I seem to remember 🤔
They're not Festool items, I'm pretty sure they came from one of the US accessory makers, there's nothing like this on the Qwas Dogs or Seneca web site so perhaps it was someone else who's no longer in business?

Those centre holes definitely look like a dog would fit through and I bet if you lined them up with the holes on the mft you'd get a dog at each end and it'd stop it moving. The smaller arms, well those knobs clearly fit through them into the t-track so... I'm gonna say it'll allow you to place a track (festool via accessory slot) at a variable distance from a set of dogs - perhaps if you were making an over length mft top and wanted to cut a section of it off but still keep the hole spacing..

Could it be a way of locking the rail to crosscut in a specific position on a mft top. Much like you would use a fence and flag stop, but before they were available.

I followed up some suggestions. It's virtually certain it's an MFT accessory from a third party manufacturer. The dimensions perfectly fit the 96mm hole spacing on an MFT.

What-is-it-001.jpg

And AJB Temple nailed it with his suggestion that a dog might fit the central slot, yes it does,

What-is-it-002.jpg

I looked again at how it might fit a guide rail, the grub screw perfectly engages in a slot on the underside of Festool rails. But then it overhangs where the saw blade would pass so that can't be right.

What-is-it-003.jpg

So I'm still stumped regarding it's practical application. I might try posting on F.O.G. but there are probably just as many MFT users here as there.

Guessing here: the sliding nuts will engage with the top side of the rail. If all 4 are installed, and the parts that the dog holes fit in have 2x dogs through each them, does that mean that you can move the rail guaranteeing that each cut is parallel to the ones before?

I think it would form a parallel linkage, although I’m not sure why that would be helpful.

Last edited:
Is it possibly for mounting a T track on top of the bench? You would have one of the three part angle bits at each end of the track. The T track attached to the slots using the T track bolts. The track would sit on top of the table, with dogs locating the position of the angle bits at each end. The track could then be adjusted and set in position by tightening the four track lock nuts, like a parallelogram adjustment. so this would assume the thinner bits of metal with the slots are free to rotate about the thicker part, but be a tight fit.....perhaps?

I have one, purchased new donkeys years ago.
It attaches vertically to the front or rear extrusions that make up the frame of the MFT.
In use it looks like a square arch with the outer legs hanging downwards and the middle section horizontal.
The small cap head screw points upwards on the middle piece.
You need T nuts / screws and knobs to secure the two arms against the extrusion.
You almost nailed it on the second photo of the first post.

The middle section is raised to the same height as whatever you are intending to cut and it supports the end of the saw guide rail, like Festool's own accessory does, but without the hinge action. The middle section should be horizontal in use.
The small cap head screw is the correct width to fit in the slot on the underside of the guide rail as you spotted. Its purpose is just to stop the track moving sideways at the end.
It's a simple device but decently made for what it is. Since you have two, you can set one up on each of the front and back edges and repeatably remove and replace your guide rail in the same position side-side. If you have only one, then it needs to be paired with a long dog at the other end to align the rail, or one can be placed at the front and the festool hinged bracket at the back.

You'll notice the two outer "arms" have graduations stamped into them to help you level the thing up in use.
Interesting to see that it is unfamiliar to most folk here.

If you make up your own MFT style tops using 8040 aluminium extrusion, a gizmo like this works perfectly with it as long as the top doesn't overhang the face of the extrusion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back