Whats this then eh

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry forgot pic in the excitment of watching election results zzzzzzzzzzzzz
received_1197326580686628.jpeg

Not saying they're not caulking tools. But most ship caulking tools are all metal rather than wood handled. Tbh the look like repurposed horticultural tools for some obscure application.

yup

I reckon not caulking tools

could well be small bark spuds, eg used by tanners to get the oak bark full of tannin for leather (I also had a mystery tool here a week or so ago that could have been a barking spud) - there were many different shapes according to size of tree, species and how the bark stuck to the inner tree

or well worn and allowed to rust speciality chisels for such as the clogs much used in the mills of Manc or even up to the 80s, the steel works of Sheff

looks like a museum number and packing - is this a curator enquiry? (but some museums won't take anything with worm holes, just in case)

yup

I reckon not caulking tools

could well be small bark spuds, eg used by tanners to get the oak bark full of tannin for leather (I also had a mystery tool here a week or so ago that could have been a barking spud) - there were many different shapes according to size of tree, species and how the bark stuck to the inner tree

or well worn and allowed to rust speciality chisels for such as the clogs much used in the mills of Manc or even up to the 80s, the steel works of Sheff

looks like a museum number and packing - is this a curator enquiry? (but some museums won't take anything with worm holes, just in case)
Your right to think museum pieces but they are part of a boat building exhibit these and many other tools were donated by an old employee s wife after he died thats where i got the idea caulking the exibition is not up and running yet so im helping my daughter find out answers Im up north and shes darn sarf

the usual caulking irons are heavier things than this - many with an edge including a groove and usually all steel

certainly not usually a fine or sharp edge as caulking involves pushing something usually tar and oakum into a groove/slot between planks (or wadding around steam pipes)

there's lots of scraping involved in boat repair/maintenance - these look like they'd do a reasonable job for scraping corners etc,, but a socket handle is usually for pushing hard or hitting as a chisel etc

could still have been for de-barking if he started with green wood (eg the bent keel piece)

Back