What's the latest on cyclone dust collectors?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
All in the title, really. If I lived in the States I'd have no trouble buying one, but inthe UK I don't know of anything available to be bought. Anyone know of anything?
John

john,
I have been looking at building one as a project for GWW, which would involve a bit of sheetmetalwork etc, cyclones have been available in this country since the 60s but used for large industries, agriculture etc, but not smaller like what you fancy in small workshop. i have a design that i have put together but not finalised as yet, it would be based around a 2hp unit, as yet unsure if its worth doing as research and developement can prove expensive if my calculations are way out maybe a poll or vote here might prompt me to go ahead. from the research i have done they are'frowned upon' in business enviroments but suitable in 'home workshops similar to dados. dyson seemed to get it right and from the many manufactures in the states they are really good, i have had several dust extraction systems and they all have one flaw, when the top needle felt bag gets clogged up they dramatically lose suction the cyclone doesnt.
down side is you need almost an 8 foot ceiling height, if its to be kept inside, i prefer to have my extraction outside though as burst bag experiances are a right pain inside

hi there john
i recently found a lot of info in building your own cylone, there was even a link to a site which had calulators to give you the port sizes etc,
this link takes you to the forum i think the discussions were in the general section.
sorry lost the web link i'll try and post it later if i can find it.

dave w

Thanks for the links, chaps, but the thing is, I don't want to make a cyclone, I want to buy one. Business is booming and I need to get on with some woodwork.
Perhaps it's the height that's stopping somebody in the UK offering one commercially, lots of people don't have 8' headroom
John

what about external to your shop john.
i've seen a few 10-12ft tall on the end of workshops ,feed pipe about 12" dia'.
dave w

Here is an extract from another forum regarding cyclone extractors.

the earlex use vortex method, long before dim dyson put it to use in a mega expensive box of plastic, and the only time the earlex ever stops sucking (with an "S") is when the thing is full up and no more will fit in to the tub, apart from the fact that the tub on an earlex holds about 5 times the volume of a dim unit , it is also cheaper to buy brand new and also DOES NOT NEED a BAG!!!! another good thing about an earlex over a dimdyson, is the dim unit, if it falls over or is dropped breaks, the earlex bounces...just ask my apprentice,....

johnelliott":mlrzujqc said:
Dewy":mlrzujqc said:
Here is an extract from another forum regarding cyclone extractors.

Dewy, could you provide a bt more detail?
John
That was an extract of a post from the screwfix forum from a professional with his own commercial workshop who always gives an accurate report based on his own experience.
Full thread here. http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jsp ... 8200#18200

Dewy
I know the guy says the Earlex uses the cyclone principle, but as the hose enters the unit in the centre, and the unit is short and round, I'm going to guess that it does not use the cyclone principle.
In any case I need something a little larger, maybe 2hp and induction motor powered
Thanks for the info anyway
John

Latest posts

Back